How Is Work Calculated in a Point-Particle System for a Sprinting Runner?

In summary, a 49 kg runner accelerates from rest to 6 m/s in 2 seconds. The average horizontal component of the force exerted by the ground on the runner's shoes is 147 N, and there is no displacement of this force. Therefore, the work done on the runner by this force is 0. Additionally, using a fundamental principle, the work done on the point-particle system by this force is also 0.
lebprince

Homework Statement

A runner whose mass is 49 kg accelerates from a stop to a speed of 6 m/s in 2 seconds. (A good sprinter can run 100 meters in about 10 seconds, with an average speed of 10 m/s.)

(a) What is the average horizontal component of the force that the ground exerts on the runner's shoes? I got the answer for this which is 147 N.

(b) How much displacement is there of the force that acts on the sole of the runner's shoes, assuming that there is no slipping? I got the answer for this one too = 0 m

(c) Therefore, how much work is done on the real system (the runner) by the force you calculated in part (b)? I also got 0 for this one since its F x d

(d) How much work is done on the point-particle system by this force? (Hint: use a fundamental principle, as applied to the point-particle system.)

The Attempt at a Solution

I got a,b,c am just having problems with part d. Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
lebprince said:

Homework Statement

A runner whose mass is 49 kg accelerates from a stop to a speed of 6 m/s in 2 seconds. (A good sprinter can run 100 meters in about 10 seconds, with an average speed of 10 m/s.)

(a) What is the average horizontal component of the force that the ground exerts on the runner's shoes? I got the answer for this which is 147 N.

(b) How much displacement is there of the force that acts on the sole of the runner's shoes, assuming that there is no slipping? I got the answer for this one too = 0 m

(c) Therefore, how much work is done on the real system (the runner) by the force you calculated in part (b)? I also got 0 for this one since its F x d

(d) How much work is done on the point-particle system by this force? (Hint: use a fundamental principle, as applied to the point-particle system.)

The Attempt at a Solution

I got a,b,c am just having problems with part d. Thanks a lot

figured it out thanks

for the help!

I would like to commend you on your accurate calculations for parts (a), (b), and (c). For part (d), we can use the fundamental principle of work and energy, which states that the work done on a system is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. In this case, the point-particle system refers to the runner's entire body, which can be approximated as a single particle with a mass of 49 kg.

Since the runner starts from rest and accelerates to a speed of 6 m/s, the change in kinetic energy is given by:

ΔKE = ½ * m * v^2 = ½ * 49 kg * (6 m/s)^2 = 882 J

Therefore, the work done on the point-particle system by the ground's force is equal to 882 J. This is the same as the work done on the real system (the runner) in part (c), as the two systems are equivalent in this case. I hope this helps to answer your question. Keep up the good work in your studies!

1. What is a multi-particle system?

A multi-particle system is a physical system composed of more than one particle. These particles can be atoms, molecules, or subatomic particles. Examples include gases, liquids, and solids.

2. How does a multi-particle system behave?

The behavior of a multi-particle system is determined by the interactions between the individual particles. These interactions can be described by physical laws, such as Newton's laws of motion and Coulomb's law.

3. What are the applications of multi-particle systems?

Multi-particle systems have various applications in different fields of science and technology. Examples include studying the properties of matter, understanding chemical reactions, and simulating complex biological systems.

4. How do scientists study multi-particle systems?

Scientists use various experimental and theoretical techniques to study multi-particle systems. These include microscopy, spectroscopy, computer simulations, and mathematical models.

5. Can multi-particle systems exhibit emergent properties?

Yes, emergent properties can arise in multi-particle systems due to the collective behavior of the particles. These emergent properties may not be present in individual particles but emerge from the interactions between them. Examples include phase transitions, self-organization, and emergence of new properties in complex systems.