What is the Capacitance of a Multi Plate Capacitor?

In summary, the problem is that the capacitance for a multi-plate capacitor increases as a function of horizontal distance from the first plate. There are a large number of plates in this configuration, and it is difficult to calculate the capacitance.
Callum10
Hi,

The problem is as follows:

There's a multi plate capacitor, with plates of side L, equidistant from each other, but the plates get increasingly longer as a function of horizontal distance from the first plate, starting at height A, and finishing at height B.

In other words, the first plate at x=0 has height A, and the last plate at x=B-A has height B. There are a large number of plates in this configuration. We are asked to show the capacitance of this is (ε0 L) / ln(B/A) where ε0 is epsilon naught. Has anyone got any ideas how to even start this off?

I've attached the question because my explanation of it is really bad!

Any help is much appreciated,

thanks

Attachments

• untitled.GIF
    untitled.GIF
    13.6 KB · Views: 584
Physics news on Phys.org
Here's thought: The first capacitor is of length A (you neglect the extra height of the second plate), the second capacitor is the length of the second plate and soo own.
You calculate the general function for a capacitor with length d (a<d<b) and then integrate!
I think... :)

but what's the length of the second plate?

the length of a plate at distance d from the first plate is c1*d (where c1 is a constant)
and you know that c=(ε0*S)/l
s= surface area of the plates
l=the distence between two plates
and you can consider all the capacitors are connected in sequece (one after another - I really don't know the terminology as well as I should)

Since all the capacitors can be considered to be in series the equation to find the C
[tex] C \sub{tot} = (C1)^{-1}+(C2)^{-1}+...+(Cn)^{-1}[/tex]

Next use C=(ε0*S)/d
where d is the distance between two plates.

Given that height of plate is a linear function of x, like h = a + x
as at x=0, h=a and at x= b-a, h=b

Apply these two facts under the limit d---> 0 and n, number of plates ---> infinity.The summation in first equation will approach to an integral from x = 0 to x = b-a

Try to find out total C

Last edited:
I understand everything that you've written down, but don't see how it all fits together to get the final total capacitance

thanks for the help

as far as I know (ctot)^-1= c1^-1+...

yes you are right . I made a mistake ther i am editing it :

[tex] (C \sub{tot})^{-1} = (C1)^{-1}+(C2)^{-1}+...+(Cn)^{-1}[/tex]

Callum 10, you have to do a little work with the information. S = Area = l * h
where l is the width of the plates given , equal for all plates. h = a + x
Remember that first plate is at x=0 and with interplate distance of d each it reaches to x= b-a for the final plates. Now the problem says that this interplate distance is very small there fore we can assume d or dx ( since this is an incremental value in x also) approaching zero.

How do you define an integral? it is limit of a sum
here is how you can convert above sum i.e. Ctot into an integral which will yield you the desired result. I hope now I clarified you the steps. and that you can solve the integral.

1. What is a multi plate capacitor?

A multi plate capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electrostatic field. It is made up of multiple plates, usually made of conductive material, separated by an insulating material called a dielectric.

2. How does a multi plate capacitor work?

When a voltage is applied to a multi plate capacitor, an electric field is created between the plates. This field causes positive and negative charges to accumulate on the plates, creating a potential difference between them. The dielectric material between the plates helps to maintain this charge separation, allowing the capacitor to store electrical energy.

3. What are the applications of a multi plate capacitor?

Multi plate capacitors are commonly used in electronic circuits to store electrical energy and act as filters for removing unwanted signals. They are also used in power supplies to smooth out voltage fluctuations and in radio frequency circuits to tune and select specific frequencies.

4. What factors affect the capacitance of a multi plate capacitor?

The capacitance of a multi plate capacitor is affected by the surface area of the plates, the distance between the plates, and the type of dielectric material used. Increasing the surface area of the plates or decreasing the distance between them will increase the capacitance, while using a higher permittivity dielectric material will also increase the capacitance.

5. How do you calculate the capacitance of a multi plate capacitor?

The capacitance of a multi plate capacitor can be calculated using the formula C = εA/d, where C is the capacitance in farads, ε is the permittivity of the dielectric material, A is the surface area of the plates, and d is the distance between the plates. The capacitance is also affected by the number of plates in the capacitor, with a higher number of plates resulting in a higher capacitance.