Multi-socket LGA-1155 anyone?

• Calculators
  • Thread starter natski
  • Start date
In summary, a Multi-socket LGA-1155 is a type of CPU socket that supports multiple processors with 1155 pins in a single socket. It is compatible with Intel 2nd and 3rd generation Core i3, i5, and i7 processors, but not with AMD processors. It can support up to two processors, allowing for improved performance and multitasking capabilities. The main benefits include improved performance and easier upgrades, while potential drawbacks include higher cost and limited optimization for multiple processors in some software and applications.
natski
Anyone aware of a multi-socket motherboard based upon the LGA-1155 socket, i.e. the new Sandy Bridge processors? I cannot find anything!

Natski

Computer science news on Phys.org
What would be the point? There won't be multiprocessor capable Sandy Bridge processors for many months, and even then they may use a different socket.

1. What is a Multi-socket LGA-1155?

A Multi-socket LGA-1155 is a type of CPU socket that is used to connect processors to the motherboard in a computer. It is designed for processors with 1155 pins and supports multiple processors in a single socket. This allows for improved performance and multitasking capabilities.

2. What processors are compatible with a Multi-socket LGA-1155?

A Multi-socket LGA-1155 is compatible with Intel processors that have 1155 pins, including the 2nd and 3rd generation Core i3, i5, and i7 processors. It is not compatible with AMD processors.

3. How many processors can be used with a Multi-socket LGA-1155?

A Multi-socket LGA-1155 can support up to two processors in a single socket. This allows for improved performance and multitasking capabilities.

4. What are the benefits of using a Multi-socket LGA-1155?

The main benefit of using a Multi-socket LGA-1155 is that it allows for improved performance and multitasking capabilities. It also allows for easier upgrades, as you can add a second processor without having to change the entire motherboard.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using a Multi-socket LGA-1155?

One potential drawback of using a Multi-socket LGA-1155 is that it may be more expensive than a single-socket motherboard. Additionally, not all software and applications are optimized to take advantage of multiple processors, so the benefits may not be fully utilized in all cases.