1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Multi variable Limit

1. Jul 12, 2018 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [​IMG] https://gyazo.com/268bef206850bfbf30fb0cca3f783599 <----- The question
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Had this on a test today, honestly not sure how to evaluate. I know you can pass the limit to the inside of arctan but I can't see how the inside goes to infinity. Any help would be appreciated I just want to understand how to do it!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2018 #2

scottdave

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

I don't get infinity for the inside, either. What is the answer that they gave? Did they get pi/2 for the limit? What answer did you get for the inside (and the limit)?

4. Jul 12, 2018 #3
    the answer given is pi/2 for the overall answer and +infinity for the inside

5. Jul 12, 2018 #4
    The only advice I have received so far is to take note that the bottom is the square of the distance from (0,1) but I can’t figure out what they mean

6. Jul 12, 2018 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The numerator inside the brackets is approaching 1, and the denominator is approaching 0 from the positive side. It seems pretty clear to me that the part in brackets is approaching ##+\infty##, so the overall limit is what?

7. Jul 13, 2018 #6
    the way I had learned it was that the only way to prove a limit existed was through methods such as delta-epsilon definition, switching to R or Rho, or by squeeze theorem. Is there any mathematical way to show that this goes to +infinity? We were told we were unable to evaluate limits by observation.

8. Jul 13, 2018 #7

Mark44

For the record, here is the limit in the image link you posted:
    $$\text{Find }\lim_{(x, y) \to (0, 1)} \tan^{-1}\left[\frac{x^2 + 1}{x^2 + (y - 1)^2}\right]$$
    The problem asks you to find the limit, but doesn't ask you to prove that this value is the limit. Proving the limit would require the use of a delta-epsilon proof or a theorem such as the squeeze theorem.

A major difficulty with these kinds of limits is when the limit is an indeterminate form such as ##[\frac 0 0]##. This limit is not one of the indeterminate forms, since the numerator approaches 1 and the denominator approaches 0 through the positive numbers.

9. Jul 13, 2018 #8

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, the way to do it is to use the definition of the notion ##(x,y) \to (0,1)##. Just using that definition (and a few simple manipulations), it is easy to show that for any (large) number ##N > 0##, we know that as ##(x,y)## nears ##(0,1)## (in a well-defined sense that you are supposed to know) we have that the denominator of the inside fraction becomes ##< 1/N##. The numerator is ## \geq 1##, so the inside fraction is ##> N##. That is essentially the definition of ##\text{fraction} \to +\infty.##

10. Jul 13, 2018 #9

scottdave

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Oh, that's easier to read than the tiny image. I misread what x and y we're approaching.

11. Jul 13, 2018 #10

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It doesn't matter whether the 'inside' is +∞ or -∞ , its tan-1 is π/2 in either case.

You appear to be able to approach the limit in several ways including from y>1.

The denominator is indeed the squared distance of a point (x, y) from (0,1).

12. Jul 14, 2018 #11

Mark44

Not so. ##\lim_{x \to -\infty}\tan^{-1}(x) = -\frac \pi 2##. For this inverse trig function, the restricted-domain function ##y = \tan(x), -\frac \pi 2 < x < \frac \pi 2## is used.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted