How Do You Apply the Multidimensional Chain Rule in Variable Transformations?

In summary, the conversation discusses a change of variables in a function and how to find the partial derivatives in this new notation. The suggestion is to use new symbols to avoid confusion and to rewrite the function in terms of the new variables.
member 428835
hey pf!

suppose i have a function ##f( x , y)##. i make a change of variables such that ##z(x,y)## in such a way that now ##f( z , y)##. how do i find $$\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}$$ $$\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}$$ $$\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial y^2}$$ $$\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x}$$

i think $$\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial f}{\partial z}\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}$$ and $$\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x^2} = \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial z^2} \frac{\partial z}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial z}\frac{\partial^2 z}{\partial x^2}$$

i also think $$\frac{\partial f}{\partial y} = \frac{\partial f}{\partial z} \frac{\partial z}{\partial y} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}$$ but something is wrong here. i feel that i need some new notation or something to fully represent what is happening.

i have no idea how to express $$\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial y^2}$$

any help is greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Great inquiry and along your investigation you even noted the vulgarity of the notation!

To free yourself from the corruption the present notation is proving, I recommend the following:
you started from a function of x and y and then switched to new coordinates x' and y' by the transformation

x'=z(x,y)
y'=y

This cleanses the notation. Redo your analysis where derivatives are dressed either primed or unprimed. You will see that your results are correct so long as you change some of their form.

(Hint: write down the f as a function of the unprimed coordinates and a take a partial of some primed coordinate, say x'. Carry out chain rules.)

Last edited:
The notation confusion comes where you chose to use "y" as both a variable in the first function and a variable in the definition of "x". If you are going to have two variables it would be better to use two new symbols.

That is, you initially have f(x, y) and you have a new variable, z, that is, in some way, a function of both x and y so you write f(z, y). That notation makes no sense to me. If this new z is a function of x and y wouldn't it make equal sense to say "f(x, z)"? The difficulty is that you want to replace x or y with a new variable so that instead of knowing that z is a function of x and y, you need to know how x, and/or y, is a function of z.

For example, if we have f(x,y)= x+ y and are given z= x/y, we can write x= yz and so can write f(z, y)= yz+ z= z(y+ 1). But we could as well write y= x/z and write f(x, z)= x+ (x/z)= x(z+ 1)/z.

Hey thanks to you both!

1. What is the multidimensional chain rule?

The multidimensional chain rule is a mathematical concept that allows us to find the derivative of a function that has multiple variables. It is an extension of the traditional chain rule, which only applies to functions with one variable.

2. How is the multidimensional chain rule different from the traditional chain rule?

The traditional chain rule only applies to functions with one variable, while the multidimensional chain rule can be applied to functions with multiple variables. It also involves taking partial derivatives and using the chain rule repeatedly for each variable.

3. Why is the multidimensional chain rule important?

The multidimensional chain rule is important in many fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics. It allows us to understand how changes in multiple variables affect the overall function and helps us make predictions or optimizations in complex systems.

4. What are some common applications of the multidimensional chain rule?

The multidimensional chain rule is commonly used in optimization problems, such as finding the maximum or minimum of a function with multiple variables. It is also used in physics to calculate changes in velocity and acceleration in multiple dimensions.

5. Is the multidimensional chain rule difficult to understand?

The concept of the multidimensional chain rule can be challenging at first, but with practice and understanding of the traditional chain rule, it can become easier to grasp. It is important to understand the basic principles and practice applying it to different functions to fully comprehend its application.

Back