1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multidimensional fourier series

1. May 18, 2007 #1
    Is a function space [tex]\{f|f:X\times Y\to \mathbb{R}\}[/tex] a tensor product of spaces [tex]\{f|f:X\to\mathbb{R}\}[/tex] and [tex]\{f|f:Y\to\mathbb{R}\}[/tex]?

Or a more conrete question, which is the one I'm mostly interested, is that if [tex]\{\sin(kx),\cos(kx)\}[/tex] is a basis for one dimensional continuous functions, is [tex]\{\sin(k_1x_1)\sin(k_2x_2),\sin(k_1x_1)\cos(k_2x_2),\cos(k_1x_1)\sin(k_2x_2),\cos(k_1x_1)\cos(k_2x_2)\}[/tex] then basis for two dimensional continuous functions?

Okey I know fourier series can converge towards non-continuous functions, but I mean that if I have an arbitrary continuous two dimensional function, will those combinations of sines and cosines suffice?

btw. I don't know much of fourier series yet. I've learned something on phycisists' method courses. I can see myself that my questions are not fully precise, but I don't know how to make them such.

Last edited: May 18, 2007
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted