1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multidimensional Gaussian integral with constraints

1. May 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The larger context is that I'm looking at the scenario of fitting a polynomial to points with Gaussian errors using chi squared minimization. The point of this is to describe the likelihood of measuring a given parameter set from the fit. I'm taking N equally spaced x values and saying that the probability of measuring y at each x value is described by a normal distribution centered around the value of some parent function. I then compute the value of chi squared leaving the y values as variables and assuming a fit function, for example a + b*x + c*x*x. Taking the partial derivatives with respect to the fit parameters gives me a set of constraint equations.

Now I'm trying to integrate over all of the possible y configurations that satisfy my constraints so I can get a likelihood depending only on the fit parameters and the parameters of the original function that generated the y values. All of the y terms can be easily substituted out using the constraint equations except for the Ʃy^2 term in the exponential. If somebody could explain how to do this even with the simplest case of a constraint like [itex]a_{1}y_{1}+a_{2}y_{2}+a_{3}y_{3}+...=A[/itex] then I would really appreciate it. In this case I tried solving for [itex]y_{1}[/itex], substituting it into the exponential, then integrating over all the other ys but I got confused about how to deal with the correlated terms in a general way. Either specific help on this or a pointer to more information on this type of problem would be great.

On a side question, does anybody know of any software that can help deal with symbolic algebra and calculus in arbitrary dimensions? I frequently find myself trying to work with equations and integrals that have some undefined N terms or dimensions and haven't been able to figure out how to do this in Mathematica.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?