1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multifluid manometer

1. Sep 8, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello
    This is not a homework, but an example in my textbook that I don't really understand.
    p-1e-1_10973_image002.gif
    We need to find P1
    The website I took this picture from explains it but it looks too complicated. The teacher did it moving along the tube and it looked really easy but I didn't understand. He almost did it in his head without using the board.

2. Relevant equations
    pbottom = ptop +ρgh
    the pressure at two points that have the same height are the same if they are connected with the same fluid.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Find P1
    Here's my try:

PE=Pairwatergh1
    PE=PD
    I don't know how to continue
    I know I need to relate PD to the other known quantities but I don't really see how.

Another question: Isn't P1 = Pair ? Since 1 is at the boundary of air and water

Thank you for your help

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2010 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

No idea what P1 is.

I guess D means the point where the water and oil meet, B & C look well defined as well, but what are A & E?

4. Sep 8, 2010 #3
    P1 is the point where air and water meet.

the answer, if it helps, is:

P1 = Patm - ρwatergh1 - ρoilgh2 + ρmercurygh3

5. Sep 8, 2010 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Go from the outside - if you know pressure at C (Patm), can you calculate pressure at B?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook