Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multilayer thickness

  1. Dec 15, 2005 #1
    I am doing research on TiAlSiN coatings. The coatings are multilayers of crystalline TiN and amorphous (Al,Si)N. The thickness of each layer is estimated about some nano-meters. The question is How can I measure the thickness of each layer? and What measurement of method is the best?
    Thanks you!
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2005 #2
    X-ray fluorescence can be used to measure the layer thicknesses(is this even a word?). The analysis of the spectra to extract the thicknesses from a multilayer system isn't a trivial procedure though. X-ray absorption should do the trick too. I'm sure there are easier ways but those two were the first that I though of.
  4. Dec 19, 2005 #3


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    Simplest methods are probably the likes of ball indentation, but don't know whether you can get the resolution you want with plain mechanical based ones.
  5. Dec 19, 2005 #4


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

    I presume the interest is for a non-destructive method, otherwise it would be simple to do a ceramograph/metalograph and measure optically with something like an electron microscope.

    Are there multiple (alternating) layers? e.g. T/A/T/A/. . . . where T = TiN and A = (Al,Si).
  6. Dec 25, 2005 #5
    Thanks you!

    I think TEM cross section can be used to estimate the thickness of layer. I will try to do it in near future.
    Thanks you for your interest.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook