Multilayer thickness

Hi!
I am doing research on TiAlSiN coatings. The coatings are multilayers of crystalline TiN and amorphous (Al,Si)N. The thickness of each layer is estimated about some nano-meters. The question is How can I measure the thickness of each layer? and What measurement of method is the best?
Thanks you!

Answers and Replies

X-ray fluorescence can be used to measure the layer thicknesses(is this even a word?). The analysis of the spectra to extract the thicknesses from a multilayer system isn't a trivial procedure though. X-ray absorption should do the trick too. I'm sure there are easier ways but those two were the first that I though of.

PerennialII
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Simplest methods are probably the likes of ball indentation, but don't know whether you can get the resolution you want with plain mechanical based ones.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
vinhphysics said:
Hi!
I am doing research on TiAlSiN coatings. The coatings are multilayers of crystalline TiN and amorphous (Al,Si)N. The thickness of each layer is estimated about some nano-meters. The question is How can I measure the thickness of each layer? and What measurement of method is the best?
Thanks you!
I presume the interest is for a non-destructive method, otherwise it would be simple to do a ceramograph/metalograph and measure optically with something like an electron microscope.

Are there multiple (alternating) layers? e.g. T/A/T/A/. . . . where T = TiN and A = (Al,Si).

Thanks you!

I think TEM cross section can be used to estimate the thickness of layer. I will try to do it in near future.
Thanks you for your interest.