How Can I Write a Multiline Equation in Latex?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Sue Laplace
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, the conversation is about how to write a multiline equation in LaTeX and specifically how to split the last subequation. The person asking the question has tried multiple commands and packages but cannot figure it out. They provide a sample of their code, which includes three equations within a subequation environment. They thank the person in advance for their help and ask if they can remove the post.
Sue Laplace
Hello!

I would like to write a multiline equation in latex
Actually it is the last of these three subequations that needs to be split, but I can't work it out (neither for a single equation) though I tried a thousand split, multline, &quadd, \left\right\ and whatever commands. Is there an extra package I should use?

\begin{subequations} \label{1}
\begin{eqnarray}
p(r) = \frac{Q}{2\pi T} \sum\limits_{i=1}^n \ln{\sqrt{(\frac{a}{2}-d+x)^2+(y- i b)^2}} \label{1.1}\\
p(r) = \frac{Q}{2\pi T} \sum\limits_{i=1}^n \ln{\sqrt{(\frac{a}{2}-d+x)^2+(y+ i b)^2}} \label{1.2}\\
p(r) = \frac{Q}{2\pi T} \sum\limits_{i=0}^n \ln{\sqrt{(\frac{(2i+1)a}{2}+d+(-1)^i x)^2+y^2}} + \frac{Q}{2\pi T} \sum\limits_{i=0}^n \ln{\sqrt{(\frac{(2i+1)a}{2}-d+(-1)^i x)^2+y^2}} \label{1.3}
\end{eqnarray}
\end{subequations}

Thanks in advance!
Sue

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok I've got it :)

Can I remove this post?

1. What is a multiline equation in Latex?

A multiline equation in Latex is a mathematical expression that spans multiple lines. It is often used when writing complex equations or when the equation is too long to fit on a single line.

2. How do I create a multiline equation in Latex?

To create a multiline equation in Latex, you can use the "align" environment or the "multiline" environment. Both of these environments allow you to break up your equation into multiple lines by using the "&" symbol to align the different parts of the equation.

3. Can I number each line of a multiline equation in Latex?

Yes, you can number each line of a multiline equation in Latex by using the "align" environment and the "align*" environment. Simply add the "\notag" command at the end of the lines that you do not want to be numbered.

4. How do I align multiple equations on the equal sign in Latex?

To align multiple equations on the equal sign in Latex, you can use the "align" environment and the "&=" symbol. This will align all of the equations on the equal sign, making them easier to read and understand.

5. Can I use different types of brackets in a multiline equation in Latex?

Yes, you can use different types of brackets in a multiline equation in Latex. You can use parentheses, brackets, or curly braces to group different parts of the equation. You can also use the "\left" and "\right" commands to automatically adjust the size of the brackets based on the content inside.