What multimeter features should I consider for my circuitry projects?

In summary: This person is looking for a multimeter that can measure AC voltages. Not sure why you would want the former as a handheld battery powered meter is more useful, for the latter, it is an expected function of a multimeter. Every multimeter has the ability to measure Resistance. The term MULTI, implies multiple functions. Every handheld Multimeter can measure, Voltage, current and resistance.
The Sand Man
Hello Everyone,

I'm an Engineering student who has had the opportunity to work on some Mechatronics. Ever since, I've been interested in working on some circuitry for my own projects. Unfortunately, I don't have much knowledge about brands and prices, but I am looking for something that has these features:

• Accurate to at least the milli-*insert unit*
  • Can plug into a regular electrical socket
  • Can output its own current into a circuit
Are my demands able to be met with the maximum of a $200 budget?

Cheers,
Sand

Engineering news on Phys.org
Any multimeter can do the first two (except measure resistance with an accuracy better than 1 mili-Ohm; which would be pretty pointless with a handheld multimeter anyway; which is what I assume we are talking about here).
I am not sure what you mean by the third? Current for measurement of current to drive something?

The main "technical" difference between cheap multimeters and and more expensive ones is the latter areTrue-RMS. More expensive ones are also usually more rugged and might have extra functions (e.g. the capability to measure capacitance, transistors etc); some can also be connected to a computer to download data.

f95toli said:
Any multimeter can do the first two (except measure resistance with an accuracy better than 1 mili-Ohm; which would be pretty pointless with a handheld multimeter anyway; which is what I assume we are talking about here).
I am not sure what you mean by the third? Current for measurement of current to drive something?

The main "technical" difference between cheap multimeters and and more expensive ones is the latter areTrue-RMS. More expensive ones are also usually more rugged and might have extra functions (e.g. the capability to measure capacitance, transistors etc); some can also be connected to a computer to download data.

Well, the ones we used in the lab had a feature where connecting a resistor to the leads gives you a reading of what resistance the resistor provides...Without connecting a battery or anything. They were the stationary desktop ones. It was a useful multimeter because we could power a circuit with a few LED lights and sensors without having a battery in the circuit.

Cheers,
Sand

Virtually every multimeter has the ability to measure Resistance. The term MULTI, implies multiple functions. Every handheld Multimeter can measure, Voltage, current and resistance.

Not sure what you mean by "plug into the wall" do you want a AC powered meter? Or one that can measure AC voltages? Not sure why you would want the former as a handheld battery powered meter is more useful, for the latter, it is an expected function of a multimeter.

Measuring milliamps and millivolts is in the expected ability of any Multimeter, milliohms on the other hand requires special instrumentation and is not found on affordable multimeters. Not a big deal however because that is not a common need.

Integral said:
Virtually every multimeter has the ability to measure Resistance. The term MULTI, implies multiple functions. Every handheld Multimeter can measure, Voltage, current and resistance.

I know that.
Integral said:
Not sure what you mean by "plug into the wall" do you want a AC powered meter? Or one that can measure AC voltages? Not sure why you would want the former as a handheld battery powered meter is more useful, for the latter, it is an expected function of a multimeter.

One of the projects I'm looking to undertake is related to recharging standard batteries. I want to look at manufacturer specifications and see how they compare to the ones that I recharged. You can understand why a multimeter with the ability to output a maximum of 2 Volts would be useful. I want it to plug into a regular electrical socket because using a hand-held multimeter powered by batteries to recharge batteries sounds silly.
Integral said:
Measuring milliamps and millivolts is in the expected ability of any Multimeter, milliohms on the other hand requires special instrumentation and is not found on affordable multimeters. Not a big deal however because that is not a common need.

Everybody forget about milliohms, I definitely don't need to measure anywhere near that accuracy.

Here is more or less what we used in our lab:

8845a_DMM.JPG

Where should I be shopping for one of these?

Cheers,
Sand

I would not recommend buying test equipment based on the needs of a single lab. A multimeter is something that you wll use over and over in many different situations.

Most people do not expect their multimeter to double as a power supply. If you need a 2V source get a power supply to fill that need and use the multimeter do perform the measurements.

Integral said:
I would not recommend buying test equipment based on the needs of a single lab. A multimeter is something that you wll use over and over in many different situations.

Most people do not expect their multimeter to double as a power supply. If you need a 2V source get a power supply to fill that need and use the multimeter do perform the measurements.

Fair enough, I'll heed your guidance!

So, what are some standard power sources? I don't want to use AA batteries, is there anything with greater output and longevity and easy ease of recharging?

Other than Radio Shack, are there any good online dealers and suppliers who ship or sell to Canada?

Cheers,
Sand

Google "bench power supply"

Find one that meets your need.

or You could put something simple together using an old appliance power supply, all depends on what you can spend and/or are comfortable with fabricating.

If you need a meter that will supply a current to a circuit (a current source), along with the other "normal" functions of a multimeter, you will be looking for a something with calibration capabilities like the Fluke 789. But, for something like that, you'll be paying in excess of $800.

Even a dedicated loop calibrator like the Fluke 707 will cost you more than $600.

As for True-RMS. If you're going to be dealing strictly with sine wave signals (typical AC power, for example), you won't need true-RMS capabilities; standard meters calculate the RMS value based on the assumption that you are measuring a perfect sine wave. However, if you need more accuracy or the ability to measure sawtooth, square, or other AC signals, then pay the extra money for a true-RMS meter.

There are many true-RMS meters that run for under $200.

What is a multimeter and how does it work?

A multimeter is an electronic device used to measure electrical properties such as voltage, current, and resistance. It works by using probes to make contact with a circuit, and then displays the measured values on a digital or analog screen.

What are the different types of multimeters available in the market?

There are three main types of multimeters: analog, digital, and clamp. Analog multimeters use a needle to display readings, while digital multimeters have a digital screen. Clamp multimeters are used to measure current without breaking the circuit.

What features should I consider when buying a multimeter?

Some important features to consider when buying a multimeter include the range of measurements it can make, the accuracy of the readings, and the type of display (digital or analog). It is also important to consider the durability and safety features of the multimeter.

How do I use a multimeter to measure voltage, current, and resistance?

To measure voltage, you will need to select the voltage range on the multimeter and then place the probes across the component or circuit you want to measure. To measure current, you will need to put the multimeter in series with the circuit. To measure resistance, you will need to select the resistance range and place the probes across the component.

What are some safety precautions to keep in mind when using a multimeter?

It is important to always use the correct range and mode when measuring electrical properties. Make sure to wear appropriate protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, and avoid touching live wires or components. Also, always check the condition of the multimeter and its probes before use.