Proving the Irreducibility of Multinacci Polynomial g(x) for Natural Numbers m

• Thread starter Diophantus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomial
In summary, one method to prove that g(x) = x^m - x^{m-1} - x^{m-2} - ... - x - 1 is irreducible over the rationals for all natural numbers m is to use an evaluation homomorphism to change the variable and then apply the Eisenstein criterion. However, this method may not work for every value of m. Other ideas may need to be explored in order to prove the irreducibility of g(x).
Diophantus
Can anyone please give me a hint on how I can prove that

[tex] g(x) = x^m - x^{m-1} - x^{m-2} - ... - x - 1 [/tex]

is irreudicble over the rationals for all natural numbers m?

Regards

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would use an evaluation homomorphism, to change the variable, and then use the Eisenstein criterion for a prime p and show it is irreducible. I haven't actually done it (so this might be wrong), but this is what I would try first.

The evaluation homomorphism I would use would be of the form

[tex]\phi_{x+1}\,:\,\mathbb{Q}[x] \rightarrow \mathbb{Q}[x] \quad\quad \phi_{x+1}(g(x)) = g(x+1)[/tex]

Hopefully you'll get a nice binomial expression to which you can check if p divides (by Eisenstein's Criteria).

Alas, the Eisenstein criteria will not work here for every m.

Indeed [tex] \phi_{x+1}(x^4 - x^3 - x^2 - x - 1) = x^4 + 3x^3 + 2x^2 - 2x - 3 [/tex]

and then (2,3) = 1 implies that no suitable prime can be found.

Any other ideas?

What is a Multinacci Polynomial?

A Multinacci Polynomial is a mathematical function that is a generalization of the Fibonacci sequence, where each term is the sum of the previous n terms instead of just the previous two terms.

What is the formula for a Multinacci Polynomial?

The formula for a Multinacci Polynomial is: Pn(x) = xn + xn-1 + ... + x2 + x + 1

What is the difference between a Multinacci Polynomial and a Fibonacci sequence?

The main difference is that a Multinacci Polynomial takes the sum of the previous n terms, while a Fibonacci sequence only takes the sum of the previous two terms. Additionally, a Multinacci Polynomial can have any number of starting terms, while a Fibonacci sequence always starts with 0 and 1.

What are some real-world applications of Multinacci Polynomials?

Multinacci Polynomials have been used in fields such as economics, computer science, and physics. They can model population growth, predict stock prices, and describe physical systems with multiple interacting components.

How is the Multinacci Polynomial related to Pascal's Triangle?

The coefficients of a Multinacci Polynomial can be found by looking at the nth row of Pascal's Triangle. Additionally, the Multinacci Polynomial can be expressed as a binomial expansion using the coefficients from Pascal's Triangle.