Multinomial Expansion: Combinations of Letters in MISSISSIPPI Taken 5 at a Time

• Thread starter zorro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expansion
In summary, the formula for multinomial expansion is (a + b + c + ...)^n = ∑ n!/(p!q!r!...) * ap * bq * cr * ..., where a, b, c, etc. represent the terms and p, q, r, etc. represent the number of times each term is repeated. There are 1,386 combinations of letters that can be formed from the word MISSISSIPPI taken 5 at a time. The word “multinomial” refers to an algebraic expression with more than two terms. One example of multinomial expansion using the word MISSISSIPPI taken 5 at a time is (M + I + S + S + I +
zorro

Homework Statement

Find the number of combinations of the letters occurring in the word "MISSISSIPPI" taken 5 at a time.

The Attempt at a Solution

Using multinomials,
The no. of combinations is the coeff. of x5 in the expression
(1+x)(1+x+x2)(1+x+x2+x3+x4)2

I don't know how to proceed after this.
Any help appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
While tedious, I would expand. In the process, you only ever need to keep terms with exponent less than or equal to 5. (Why?)

Thanks alot!...but is there any shortcut method for this?

I don't know one. Perhaps.

1. What is the formula for multinomial expansion?

The formula for multinomial expansion is (a + b + c + ...)^n = ∑ n!/(p!q!r!...) * ap * bq * cr * ..., where a, b, c, etc. represent the terms and p, q, r, etc. represent the number of times each term is repeated.

2. How many combinations of letters can be formed from the word MISSISSIPPI taken 5 at a time?

There are 1,386 combinations of letters that can be formed from the word MISSISSIPPI taken 5 at a time.

3. What does the word “multinomial” mean in multinomial expansion?

The word “multinomial” refers to an algebraic expression with more than two terms. In multinomial expansion, we are expanding an expression with multiple terms raised to a power.

4. Can you provide an example of multinomial expansion using the word MISSISSIPPI taken 5 at a time?

One example of multinomial expansion using the word MISSISSIPPI taken 5 at a time is (M + I + S + S + I + S + S + I + P + P + I)^5 = 201,553,707,440,000.

5. How is multinomial expansion related to the binomial theorem?

Multinomial expansion is an extension of the binomial theorem, which is used to expand expressions with two terms raised to a power. The binomial theorem can be seen as a special case of multinomial expansion, where there are only two terms (a and b) being raised to a power.