Multinomial Expansion: Coefficient & Term Count for (w+x+y+z)^{23}

• Thread starter Mentallic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expansion
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the multinomial theorem to find the coefficient of w^2x^5y^7z^9 in the expansion of (w+x+y+z)^{23}. It also explains that this theorem is needed to answer the second part of the question, which asks about the number of different terms in the expanded expression. The conversation also mentions using Pascal's triangle to find the number of terms.
Mentallic
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

1) Find the coefficient of [tex]w^2x^5y^7z^9[/tex] in [tex](w+x+y+z)^{23}[/tex]
2) When [tex](w+x+y+z)^{23}[/tex] is expanded and terms collected, how many different terms will there be?

The Attempt at a Solution

Again, I'm studying through my textbook and I'm finding these kinds of questions in past exams that aren't present in the book. I'm unsure how to begin.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi mentallic! :smile:

Do you know the multinomial theorem? This answers your question immediately.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multinomial_theorem

Basically, it states that

[tex](x_1+...+x_m)=\sum_{k_1+...+k_m=n}{\binom{n}{k_1,...,k_m}x_1^{k_1}...x_m^{k_m}}[/tex]

So what does that give us in our specific case? Here: m=4 and n=23.

Oh thanks, that makes finding the answer very simple! :smile:

But the multinomial expansion isn't in our syllabus so I'm guessing we need to argue with separate combinatoric multiplications.

Judging by the multinomial expansion though, I'm guessing the second last step in the solution would be of the form:

[tex]\binom{23}{2}\binom{23-2}{5}\binom{23-2-5}{7}\binom{23-2-5-7}{9}=\frac{23!}{2!5!7!9!}[/tex]

Somehow I need to be able to argue why the coefficient is equal to these combinations?

And I still have no clue how to answer part 2.

OK, the things that you could do then is actually show the multinomial theorem in the case m=4. This is very easy and natural because it just requires you to use the binomial theorem a few times.

So, let's start with

[tex](y+z)^{23}[/tex]

this is just the binomial theorem. Then we add one more term:

[tex](x+(y+z))^{23}[/tex]

this is again using the binomial theorem and previous result. And finally, we have

[tex](w+(x+y+z))^{23}[/tex]

Working this out should give you the statement of the multinomial theorem.

Now, this statement is also needed in part 2, since that basically asks you to calculate in how many ways we can write [itex]k_1+k_2+k_3+k_4=n[/itex].

Mentallic said:
Oh thanks, that makes finding the answer very simple! :smile:

But the multinomial expansion isn't in our syllabus so I'm guessing we need to argue with separate combinatoric multiplications.

Judging by the multinomial expansion though, I'm guessing the second last step in the solution would be of the form:

[tex]\binom{23}{2}\binom{23-2}{5}\binom{23-2-5}{7}\binom{23-2-5-7}{9}=\frac{23!}{2!5!7!9!}[/tex]

Somehow I need to be able to argue why the coefficient is equal to these combinations?

And I still have no clue how to answer part 2.

micromass said:
OK, the things that you could do then is actually show the multinomial theorem in the case m=4. This is very easy and natural because it just requires you to use the binomial theorem a few times.

So, let's start with

[tex](y+z)^{23}[/tex]

this is just the binomial theorem. Then we add one more term:

[tex](x+(y+z))^{23}[/tex]

this is again using the binomial theorem and previous result. And finally, we have

[tex](w+(x+y+z))^{23}[/tex]

Working this out should give you the statement of the multinomial theorem.
Hmm, since we haven't diverged from the multinomial theorem, I'll use it, but I don't know how happy they'll be about me using a different technique to the one they taught in the class that I missed.
It'll suffice though. I mean, an answer's an answer, right? :smile:

micromass said:
Now, this statement is also needed in part 2, since that basically asks you to calculate in how many ways we can write [itex]k_1+k_2+k_3+k_4=n[/itex].

Oh really? Ok well that I can answer, but I don't quite understand why exactly. I'll have to come back to this detail after my exam is over.

Thanks a lot for your help micromass!

When (w+x+y+z)23 is expanded and terms collected, how many different terms will there be?

from pascal's triangle you can find [itex]\frac{26!}{23!3!}[/itex]= 5200 diffenent terms.

Last edited:

What is multinomial expansion?

Multinomial expansion is a mathematical method used to expand expressions with more than two terms. It involves raising a polynomial with multiple terms to a power using the binomial theorem.

What is the binomial theorem?

The binomial theorem is a formula used to expand binomials, or expressions with two terms, to a power. It states that the expansion of (a + b)^n is equal to the sum of the coefficients multiplied by the powers of a and b, where the powers always add up to n.

How is multinomial expansion different from binomial expansion?

Multinomial expansion is an extension of binomial expansion, as it allows for expressions with more than two terms to be expanded. While binomial expansion uses the binomial theorem, multinomial expansion uses the multinomial theorem, which is a generalization of the binomial theorem.

What is the multinomial theorem?

The multinomial theorem is a generalization of the binomial theorem, used to expand expressions with more than two terms to a power. It states that the expansion of (a + b + c + ...)^n is equal to the sum of the coefficients multiplied by the powers of each term, where the powers always add up to n.

What are some applications of multinomial expansion?

Multinomial expansion has various applications in mathematics and science, particularly in statistics, combinatorics, and probability. It can be used to solve problems involving the distribution of objects into groups, the probability of outcomes in experiments, and the coefficients in polynomial functions.