1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multinomial Theorem

1. May 17, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the coefficient of the [tex] x^{12}y^{24} [/tex] for [tex] (x^3+2xy^2+y+3)^{18} [/tex].

2. Relevant equations
    Multinomial theorem, as stated on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multinomial_theorem

3. The attempt at a solution
    Using the multinomial theorem in the form of the wikipedia post, I would set [tex] x_1=x^3, x_2=2xy^2, x_3=y, x_4=3 [/tex]. Now I need to find the k's that "match" the coefficients of the term from the problem statement. This will give me a relation between the k's of the following form
    [tex] 3k_1+k_2 = 12, 2k_2+k_3 = 24, and k_1+k_2+k_3+k_4=18 [/tex]. Now I let [tex] k_1 [/tex] vary and record the discrete values [tex] k_2, k_3, k_4 [/tex], but what I'm confused on is why do I sometimes get negative values for [tex] k_4 [/tex]? Do I need to do something different with the relationship of the k's. Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2009 #2
    You wrote down three restrictions, but there is a fourth as well, namely that all the k_i's must be nonnegative. Looks like k_1 can be 0 or 1, and that's all.

4. May 18, 2009 #3
    cool, so everything else looks good?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook