1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multiparticle Schrodinger Equations

1. Mar 6, 2008 #1
    I would like to see the set of partial differential equations (PDEs) describing how
    3 or more subatomic particles interact - whether electrons, protons, neutrons,
    or all the other particles I was never taught in school, but learned about since college
    thanks to the internet.

I guess I am asking to see a system of multiparticle Schrodinger wave equations.
    Labelling the individual particles and force and momentum equations with indices
    is fine. Please correct my terminology as necessary. I view the Schrodinger wave
    equation as a "conservation of energy" equation. Is this the correct or optimal view?
    I think in terms of all laws of physics as being "conservation laws" -
    conservation of mass, momentum, energy and entropy. I cannot think of what else
    gets conserved. Quantum number or spin, I suppose, right?

So, I am curious to see what each of these conservation laws looks like for a
    system of N particles - along with any relativistic effects.

Yes, although I may be stuck in Cartesian coordinates and worldview
    of coordinate-dependent physics, my entire life I have always forced myself
    to learn new things. I still am (taking a course in molecular genetics at the moment).

As a physics novice, I do NOT want to complain about how particle physics is presented in books and on the web until I do the legwork to understand it all. However, my impression - even when I took graduate differential geometry and we got to lightcones and Ricci curvatures and never really felt I knew what was going on - has been that all presentations of physics just deal with a single point or particle. All the presentations look exactly alike to me and leave me confused.

I'd get a better understanding if I see how THIS particle interacts with THAT particle
    interacts with yet ANOTHER particle.

Also, are there any community colleges - or relatively inexpensive colleges -
    which offer all the required physics courses leading to a course in subatomic particles?
    I have no plans to do this, so I am asking a non-practical (but not rhetorical) question.
    I know that I will never learn subatomic particle physics as well from reading wikipedia
    - as amazing as wiki is - as I would by taking the formal sequence of courses and
    being tested and forced to receive a grade. The closest college to me which offers
    a sequence of such courses - 14 of them, 12 of which must all be taken sequentially -
    is Drexel University. But, I could never afford their courses ($3000 each).

So you know what level to communicate with me - although, one should NEVER dumb
    anything down: My background: BChE (Bachelor of Chemical Engineering, U Del, 1986) => I've had a year of physical chemistry, which covered elementary quantum mechanics in the end. I am actually shocked that I have had only 1 semester of college physics.
    I was a hotshot in physics in high school. But, I never got to Maxwell's Equations
    formally in a course. I've seen them a billion times on the internet and elsewhere.

Also, I have a PhD in Math (Rutgers, 2000), specializing in differential algebra. My goal and passion has been to solve systems of nonlinear ODEs - and eventually PDEs --
    "exactly". I have had my own ideas of what "exactly" means, such as, compositions
    of Picard-Vessiot extensions.

I apologize to all readers and to the administrators for registering to Physics Forums and clogging the administrators' databases of members. I really do NOT like having to join
    new forums. However, I HAVE had nagging basic physics questions about particles
    for decades. Yes - it's the paradox that I actually AGREE with all the administrators'
    rules on a forum, and for their same reasons, but resent being required to abide by them.

Thank you!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted