Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multiphonic voice

1. Dec 29, 2004 #1

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Anyone know of any online samples of multiphonic vocals? (Instrumental would be interesting too)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2004 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I thought multiphonic singing was a hoax or trick.

Now I think about it, I must be confusing this with something else, because my impression was that multiphonic singing is essentially singing multiple notes simultaneously, so as to sound like a chord. I just can't imagine how this is possible. But then 'multiphonic instrumental' could hardly be anything unusual, by that definition.

Please educate us.

4. Dec 30, 2004 #3
    I don't know about vocals, but I know a guy who can whistle a triad (three notes) relatively in tune. I've heard pieces with multiphonics on flutes and oboes, they sound terrible, I'm not sure how they work. I think they do something to muffle the fundamental to the point where one or two harmonics are distinctly audible... but barely.

5. Dec 30, 2004 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited: Dec 30, 2004
  6. Dec 30, 2004 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm hoping to hear a solo voice doing it.

As for instrumental multiphonics, the notes in the chords aren't multiples of some fundamental, at least in woodwind multiphonics (I think they are for brass, but I can't remember for sure)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?