Multiple calculus questions

In summary, for question 1), the key was to use the product rule for derivatives and then add fractions using common denominators. For question 2), the solution was to take the derivative and calculate the discriminant. For question 3), L'Hôpital's rule was used 2011 times to find the limit.
tahayassen
1) [tex]f(x)=\frac { { x }^{ 2 } }{ \sqrt { x+1 } } \\ f'(x)=\frac { 2x\sqrt { x+1 } -\frac { \sqrt { x+1 } }{ 2 } }{ x+1 } \\ f'(x)=\frac { x(3x+4) }{ 2{ (x+1) }^{ \frac { 3 }{ 2 } } } [/tex]

Can somebody show how you can get from the second step to the third step? I tried factoring x+1 from the numerator but it just made it even messier.

2)

2usc0ok.png

Can somebody tell me what method/technique or what theorem I need to use in order to do this question?

3)

35lt849.png

Can somebody tell me what method/technique or what theorem I need to use in order to do this question?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
tahayassen said:
1) [tex]f(x)=\frac { { x }^{ 2 } }{ \sqrt { x+1 } } \\ f'(x)=\frac { 2x\sqrt { x+1 } -\frac { \sqrt { x+1 } }{ 2 } }{ x+1 } \\ f'(x)=\frac { 3(3x+4) }{ 2{ (x+1) }^{ \frac { 3 }{ 2 } } } [/tex]

Can somebody show how you can get from the second step to the third step? I tried factoring x+1 from the numerator but it just made it even messier.

2)

2usc0ok.png

3)

35lt849.png

Show your work: what have you tried so far?

tahayassen said:
1) [tex]f(x)=\frac { { x }^{ 2 } }{ \sqrt { x+1 } } \\ f'(x)=\frac { 2x\sqrt { x+1 } -\frac { \sqrt { x+1 } }{ 2 } }{ x+1 } \\ f'(x)=\frac { 3(3x+4) }{ 2{ (x+1) }^{ \frac { 3 }{ 2 } } } [/tex]

How does the denominator in the third step compare to the denominator in the second step?

One more question:

4)

[tex]{ (\frac { 1 }{ 3 } x+\frac { 1 }{ 3 } { x }^{ -1 }+{ x }^{ -2 }) }^{ -1 }\\ =\frac { 1 }{ 3 } { x }^{ -1 }+\frac { 1 }{ 3 } { x }+{ x }^{ 2 }[/tex]

That's correct, right? But if it were -2 instead of -1, you wouldn't be able to distribute the exponent right? You'd still be able to distribute the negative though, correct?

I'll upload my work in a sec

Last edited:
I solved question 1. The key was to use the product rule - not the quotient rule for derivatives and then use common denominators to add the fractions.

For question 2, I tried to use the discriminant for cubic functions to make some sort of resemblance to the inequality, but no luck. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discriminant#Formula_2

Here is my attempt for question 3:

[tex]\underset { x\rightarrow \infty }{ lim } \frac { { x }^{ 2011 }+{ 2010 }^{ x } }{ -{ x }^{ 2010 }+{ 2011 }^{ x } } \\ =\underset { x\rightarrow \infty }{ lim } \frac { { { x }^{ 2010 }(x }+{ 2010 }^{ x }{ x }^{ -2010 }) }{ { x }^{ 2010 }(-1+{ 2011 }^{ x }{ x }^{ -2010 }) } \\ =\underset { x\rightarrow \infty }{ lim } \frac { { x }+{ 2010 }^{ x }{ x }^{ -2010 } }{ -1+{ 2011 }^{ x }{ x }^{ -2010 } } [/tex]

Just to add, I have a calculus exam in 4 hours and 15 minutes from the time of this post, so sorry about not showing my work the first time.

tahayassen said:
One more question:

4)

[tex]{ (\frac { 1 }{ 3 } x+\frac { 1 }{ 3 } { x }^{ -1 }+{ x }^{ -2 }) }^{ -1 }\\ =\frac { 1 }{ 3 } { x }^{ -1 }+\frac { 1 }{ 3 } { x }+{ x }^{ 2 }[/tex]

That's correct, right?
No, it's not. You can't distribute exponents over a sum or difference, and that seems to be what you did.
tahayassen said:
But if it were -2 instead of -1, you wouldn't be able to distribute the exponent right? You'd still be able to distribute the negative though, correct?

I'll upload my work in a sec

tahayassen said:
I solved question 1. The key was to use the product rule - not the quotient rule for derivatives and then use common denominators to add the fractions.

For question 2, I tried to use the discriminant for cubic functions to make some sort of resemblance to the inequality, but no luck. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discriminant#Formula_2

Here is my attempt for question 3:

[tex]\underset { x\rightarrow \infty }{ lim } \frac { { x }^{ 2011 }+{ 2010 }^{ x } }{ -{ x }^{ 2010 }+{ 2011 }^{ x } } \\ =\underset { x\rightarrow \infty }{ lim } \frac { { { x }^{ 2010 }(x }+{ 2010 }^{ x }{ x }^{ -2010 }) }{ { x }^{ 2010 }(-1+{ 2011 }^{ x }{ x }^{ -2010 }) } \\ =\underset { x\rightarrow \infty }{ lim } \frac { { x }+{ 2010 }^{ x }{ x }^{ -2010 } }{ -1+{ 2011 }^{ x }{ x }^{ -2010 } } [/tex]
I don't think this will be any help. The dominant term is the 2011x in the denominator, which leads me to believe that the limit of the overall expression is 0. I would be inclined to use L'Hopital's rule to confirm that guess.
tahayassen said:
Just to add, I have a calculus exam in 4 hours and 15 minutes from the time of this post, so sorry about not showing my work the first time.

I'm currently on my tablet, so I won't be able to post latex.

Mark44 said:
I don't think this will be any help. The dominant term is the 2011x in the denominator, which leads me to believe that the limit of the overall expression is 0. I would be inclined to use L'Hopital's rule to confirm that guess.

Doh. I'm not sure how that slipped from my mind. I'll try it in a second. I think this is the right way.

Thanks for answering question 4. So if instead of a negative exponent for the brackets, the contents of the brackets was just in the denominator of a fraction, then you still wouldn't be able to move each term to the numerator by changing the signs of the exponents right?

Anyone know how to solve question 2?

tahayassen said:
You can easily get the desired answer after correcting your 'second line':

[itex]\displaystyle f'(x)=\frac{2\sqrt { x+1 }}{2\sqrt { x+1 }}\left(\frac { 2x\sqrt { x+1 } -\frac {x^2 }{ 2\sqrt { x+1} } }{ x+1 }\right) [/itex]
[itex]\displaystyle
=\frac{4x(x+1)-x^2}{2(x+1)^{\frac{3}{2}}}[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle
=\frac{x(3x+4)}{2(x+1)^{\frac{3}{2}}}[/itex]​

The solution to #2 was to take the derivative of the equation. Then calculate the discriminant for the the derivative.

The solution to #3 was to apply L'Hôpital's rule 2011 times (or when you noticed the pattern and skipped right to the end).

1. What is multiple calculus?

Multiple calculus refers to the study of multivariable calculus, which involves the analysis of functions with more than one independent variable. It extends the concepts of single-variable calculus to functions of multiple variables and is essential in many fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What are the main topics covered in multiple calculus?

The main topics covered in multiple calculus include partial derivatives, multiple integrals, vector calculus, differential equations, and applications of these concepts in various fields.

3. What are the key differences between single and multiple calculus?

The key difference between single and multiple calculus is that single-variable calculus deals with functions of one variable, while multiple calculus deals with functions of multiple variables. Multiple calculus also involves new concepts such as partial derivatives and multiple integrals.

4. How is multiple calculus used in real life?

Multiple calculus is used in many real-life applications, such as determining the maximum or minimum values of a function, optimizing systems with multiple variables, and solving problems in physics and engineering. It is also used in the fields of economics, biology, and computer graphics.

5. What are some tips for mastering multiple calculus?

Some tips for mastering multiple calculus include practicing regularly, understanding the underlying concepts, and using visual aids such as graphs and diagrams. It is also helpful to seek help from a tutor or study group if needed and to solve a variety of problems to improve problem-solving skills.