Why Is My Approach to Solving Physics Homework Incorrect?

• Thread starter Garen
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a student struggling with a physics problem involving tension in a string and the velocity of an object moving in a circle. The student initially solves for the velocity using the equation ma = mv^2/r, but gets the wrong answer. Another person intervenes and suggests writing separate equations for the vertical and horizontal forces and applying Newton's second law.
Garen

Homework Statement

2qbgkr5.png

Homework Equations

5d423445741ddd2681bf2639f9b0bd89.png

The Attempt at a Solution

The way I understood is it is by taking ma and setting it equal to mv^2/r and solving for v. With this I got answer choice number 9, sqrt(glsinTHETA). But it's wrong. Can anyone direct me in the right direction to solving this deceptively easy problem? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Garen said:

Homework Statement

2qbgkr5.png

Homework Equations

5d423445741ddd2681bf2639f9b0bd89.png

The Attempt at a Solution

The way I understood is it is by taking ma and setting it equal to mv^2/r and solving for v. With this I got answer choice number 9, sqrt(glsinTHETA). But it's wrong. Can anyone direct me in the right direction to solving this deceptively easy problem? Thanks in advance.
You're on the right lines. However, you incorrectly assume that the tension in the string is mg.

Hootenanny said:
You're on the right lines. However, you incorrectly assume that the tension in the string is mg.

So you're saying that I set mv^2/r equal g/cosTHETA ?

Garen said:
So you're saying that I set mv^2/r equal g/cosTHETA ?
No. Start by writing down two equations: one for the requirement of the sum of the forces in the vertical plane, and one for the sum of the forces in the horizontal plane. In otherwords, apply Newton's second law seperately to the vertical and radial planes.

1. What is "Multiple-Choice Doozie"?

"Multiple-Choice Doozie" is a type of multiple-choice question that presents complex or tricky scenarios to test the critical thinking and problem-solving skills of the test-taker.

2. How is "Multiple-Choice Doozie" different from a regular multiple-choice question?

"Multiple-Choice Doozie" questions are designed to challenge the test-taker's understanding and application of concepts, rather than simply testing their knowledge of facts. They often require more analysis and critical thinking to arrive at the correct answer.

3. Are "Multiple-Choice Doozie" questions more difficult?

Yes, "Multiple-Choice Doozie" questions are generally considered more difficult because they require higher-order thinking skills to solve. They may also have more than one correct answer, making them more challenging to score.

4. How can I prepare for "Multiple-Choice Doozie" questions?

To prepare for "Multiple-Choice Doozie" questions, it is important to practice critical thinking and problem-solving skills. You can also review past examples of these types of questions to get an idea of the format and level of difficulty.

5. Can I use any strategies to answer "Multiple-Choice Doozie" questions?

Yes, there are some strategies that can help when answering "Multiple-Choice Doozie" questions. These include reading the question carefully, eliminating obvious incorrect answers, and using process of elimination to narrow down options. It can also be helpful to identify keywords and phrases in the question that may provide clues to the correct answer.