1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multiple current loops

1. Jan 14, 2010 #1
    I assume that if one has several current loops that the magnetic fields that they generate just add together linearlly. Just want to make sure.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2010 #2
    Yup...that is how it looks to be (at least classically).

4. Jan 14, 2010 #3

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

to first order they do, but I think the interaction between the current loops and other magnetic fields would induce emfs which would change the magnetic fields produced, and would further induce emfs, etc.

I suppose, if you assumed no coupling, the fields would just add linearly.

5. Jan 14, 2010 #4
    Interesting. How would you solve this problem with coupling? The law of Biot and Savart would not work. I guess you would hold the currents in the loops constant.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  6. Jan 14, 2010 #5

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For example, for 2 loops:

[tex]emf_1=\epsilon_1-\frac{d\Phi_{21}}{dt}[/tex]

[tex]emf_2=\epsilon_2-\frac{d\Phi_{12}}{dt}[/tex]

Where [tex]\Phi_{12}[/tex] that's the flux on 2 due to 1 and vice versa. It's a coupled differential equation. If you had 3 loops, you'd just have more terms and more equations. Don't quote me on this, it's been a while since I've done this stuff :P.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook