Multiple FBD Dynamics Problem

In summary, the problem involves a 4-kg uniform rod attached to a crank and a small wheel that can roll without friction along a vertical slot. The crank rotates with an angular velocity of 6 rad/s clockwise and an angular acceleration of 15 rad/s^2 counterclockwise. The question asks for the reaction at point A. The solution involves using Newton's 2nd Law and kinematic equations, specifically the acceleration and velocity kinematic equations and the cross product.
baseballer10p

Homework Statement

The 4-kg uniform rod ABD is attached to the crank BC and is fitted with a small wheel that can roll without friction along a vertical slot. Knowing that at the instant shown crank BC rotates with an angular velocity of 6 rad/s clockwise and an angular acceleration of 15 rad/s^2 counterclockwise, determine the reaction at A.
D1.jpg

Homework Equations

Newton's 2nd Law (Shown in FBDs)
Acceleration and velocity kinematic equations
aa = ab + aa/b
va = vb + vc/b

The Attempt at a Solution

I've drawn FBDs and written out Newton's 2nd Law, but I'm at a loss on how to write the kinematics equations I need. I know that they involve a cross product, but I don't really know how to use them to make an equation that will come out to all i's and j's. Please help!
D2.jpg

D3.jpg

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anybody?

I understand your struggle with this problem. To solve this, we will need to use the equations of motion for rotational dynamics. These equations are similar to the kinematic equations you mentioned, but they are specifically for rotational motion.

First, let's define some variables to make it easier to write out the equations:

- ω = angular velocity of the rod
- α = angular acceleration of the rod
- R = reaction force at point A
- I = moment of inertia of the rod about point A

Now, we can write out the equations of motion:

- Στ = Iα (torque equals moment of inertia times angular acceleration)
- ΣF = ma (sum of forces equals mass times acceleration)

We will use these equations to solve for the reaction force at point A.

First, let's look at the torque equation. We know that the only torque acting on the rod is due to the rotation of the crank BC. So, we can write:

Στ = R x d = Iα

Where d is the distance from point A to the point where the crank BC is attached to the rod.

Next, we can look at the force equation. We know that the only external force acting on the rod is the reaction force at point A. So, we can write:

ΣF = R = ma

Now, we can combine these equations to solve for R:

R = (Iα)/d = (ma)/d

Finally, we can substitute in the known values for α and a to solve for R:

R = (4 kg)(15 rad/s^2)/d = (4 kg)(6 rad/s)^2/d = 24 N

Therefore, the reaction force at point A is 24 N. I hope this helps you understand how to approach this problem. Keep practicing and you will become more comfortable with using the equations of motion for rotational dynamics.

1. What is a Multiple FBD Dynamics Problem?

A Multiple FBD (Free Body Diagram) Dynamics Problem is a type of physics problem that involves analyzing the motion and forces of multiple objects connected or interacting with each other. These problems are typically solved using Newton's laws of motion and other principles of mechanics.

2. How do I draw a Multiple FBD for a Dynamics Problem?

To draw a Multiple FBD, you must first identify all the objects involved in the problem and the forces acting on each object. Then, draw a separate diagram for each object, showing all the forces acting on it. Remember to label each force with its magnitude and direction.

3. What are the key steps to solve a Multiple FBD Dynamics Problem?

The key steps to solve a Multiple FBD Dynamics Problem are:

• Identify all the objects involved and draw separate FBDs for each object.
  • Apply Newton's laws of motion to each object to determine the net force acting on it.
  • Use the equations of motion to solve for any unknown quantities, such as acceleration or velocity.
  • Check your solution and make sure it is reasonable and matches the given conditions of the problem.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a Multiple FBD Dynamics Problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a Multiple FBD Dynamics Problem are:

• Not drawing accurate and complete FBDs for each object.
  • Forgetting to include all the forces acting on an object, such as friction or tension.
  • Using incorrect signs for forces or not considering the direction of forces.
  • Not applying Newton's laws correctly or missing a step in the problem-solving process.
  • Not double-checking the solution for errors or inconsistencies.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving Multiple FBD Dynamics Problems?

To improve your skills in solving Multiple FBD Dynamics Problems, you can:

• Practice drawing accurate and complete FBDs for different types of objects and situations.
  • Work through a variety of practice problems and check your solutions.
  • Review and understand the concepts and principles behind Newton's laws and other mechanics principles.
  • Seek help from a teacher or tutor if you are struggling with a particular problem or concept.
  • Stay organized and double-check your work to avoid mistakes.