Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multiple functional derivatives

1. Jul 17, 2010 #1
    Hi all,

Long time stalker, first time poster. I've finally got stumped by something not already answered (as far as I can tell) around here. I'm trying to make sense of double functional derivatives: specifically, I would like to understand expressions like

[tex]\int dx \frac{\delta^2}{\delta \phi(x) \delta \phi(x)} \Psi[\phi] [/tex].

What can happen is that taking one derivative gives me an expression with a [tex]\phi(x) [/tex] sitting in front of [tex]\Psi[/tex], and then I'm not sure how to act with the second functional, since I now have something like a function times a functional; the naive approach gives me a bunch of delta functions. For example, for a Gaussian

[tex]\Psi[\phi] = exp \left[ -\frac{1}{2} \int dx' \phi(x') \phi(x') \right] [/tex]

the first derivative is

[tex]\frac{\delta \Psi}{\delta \phi(x)} = \left[ -\int dx' \delta(x-x') \phi(x') \right] \Psi = - \phi(x) \Psi [/tex].

Now naively

[tex]\frac{\delta^2 \Psi}{\delta \phi(x) \delta \phi(x)} = \frac{\delta \phi(x)}{\delta \phi(x)} \Psi + \phi(x) \frac{\delta \Psi}{\delta \phi(x)} [/tex]

but the first term is just [tex]\delta(0)[/tex]! Which is even worse when I then try to integrate this over dx.

So, my guess is that I'm supposed to instead treat the functional derivative as a partial derivative when there's some function of [tex]\phi(x)[/tex] sitting in front of the functional. But I

a. don't know if this is true
    b. don't know why it should be true.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,
    Dan

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted