1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multiple integral in a domain

1. Sep 6, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi, I have a problem with the following exercise.
    Let C={(x,y,z)∈ℝ3 : x2+y2+z2≤1, z≥√(3x2+8y2)} be a subset of ℝ3. Calculate ∫∫∫C z dxdydz.

2. Relevant equations

Spherical coordinates, given by x=ρsinΦcosθ, y=ρsinΦsinθ, z=ρcosΦ, and cylindrical coordinates which are x=ρcosα, y=ρsinα, z=z

3. The attempt at a solution

The problem is that, starting from the set C I believe that √(3x2+8y2)≤z≤√(1-x2-y2) so that I should integrate the "∫zdz part" between these two extremes. But when it comes to the conditions on x and y I don't know how to proceed further. I tried to use spherical coordinates so that the first condition becomes ρ2≤1 but then the second one becomes cos(Φ)≥√(3sin2(Φ)cos2(θ)+8sin2(Φ)sin2(θ)) which is worse than the original condition. I also tried to use cylindrical coordinates so that even though the first condition does not improve much the second one becomes z2≥3ρ2cos2(α)+8ρ2sin2(α), which is better than the one I obtained using spherical coordinates, but even so I didn't go very far. Obviously there is some idea I am missing, what is in your opinion the best way to go on?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2015 #2

Zondrina

Homework Helper

You are right about using spherical co-ordinates. Applying the transformation will yield ##0 \leq \rho \leq 1## as you have found already.

The limits for ##\theta## can be found by using your imagination. Are you integrating over a full ##2 \pi## or only half of that? If you sketch the region, it will be clear what the limits for ##\theta## are.

As for ##\phi##, you have the right idea, but you seem to have stopped mid-computation. Once you get here:

$$\cos( \phi ) \geq \sqrt{3 \cos^2( \theta ) \sin^2( \phi ) + 8 \sin^2( \theta ) \sin^2( \phi )}$$

Factor out ##\sin^2( \phi )## to obtain:

$$\cot( \phi ) \geq \sqrt{3 \cos^2( \theta ) + 8 \sin^2( \theta )}$$

4. Sep 6, 2015 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Personally, I would not use cylindrcal or spherical coordinates; I would first just attempt to determine the ##(x,y)## region ##R_{xy}##, which is the region where ##\sqrt{1-x^2-y^2} \geq \sqrt{3x^2+8y^2}. ##
    Then I would do the integral
    [tex] \int \! \int_{R_{xy}} \left( \int_{\sqrt{3x^2+8y^2}}^{\sqrt{1-x^2-y^2}} z \, dz \right) \, dx dy .[/tex]

5. Sep 6, 2015 #4

Zondrina

Homework Helper

This way is nice too because you can switch over to polar co-ordinates once you obtain an ##xy## integral.

6. Sep 6, 2015 #5
    Thank you very much! I will try to use both the approaches. I didn't go further with the calculations of the second conditions using spherical coordinates because I didn't understand how to use that condition but now I understand that I needed your last passage, and I didn't really thought that I could switch to spherical coordinates midway through the integration. I will try to solve the integral and when I'm done I will post my solution here

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted