1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multiple integral problem

1. Jan 24, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

By transforming to polar coordinates, show that

[tex]I = \int\int_{T}\frac{1}{(1+x^2)(1+y^2)}dxdy = \int^{\pi/4}_{0}\frac{log(\sqrt{2}cos(\theta))}{cos(2\theta)}d\theta[/tex]

where T is the triangle with successive vertices (0,0),(1,0),(1,1).

2. Relevant equations

[tex]I = \int\int_{K} f(x,y)dxdy = \int\int_{K'} g(u,v)*J*dudv[/tex]

where J is the Jacobian.

3. The attempt at a solution

The Jacobian is r, as always with a transformation to polar coordinates, so we get that

[tex]I = \int^{1}_{0}\int^{x}_{0}\frac{1}{(1+x^2)(1+y^2)}dydx = \int^{\pi/4}_{0}\int^{\sqrt2}_{1}\frac{r}{(1+r^2cos^2(\theta))(1+r^2sin^2(\theta))}drd\theta[/tex]

Firstly, is this correct? Secondly, if it is, could you give me a hint as to how to solve it to get the answer given? The obvious thing seems to be to split it into partial fractions, but I did try this once and didn't seem to get anywhere?

Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2009 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The transformation of coordinates looks correct, but you may want to check your integration boundaries. The triangle is "standing on it's tip" so for x = 0 you want to integrate y from 0 to 1, etc. In polar coordinates then, r doesn't run from 1 to [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]: it always starts at 0 but it only runs to [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] for [itex]\theta = \pi / 4[/itex].

It may help if you draw the triangle.

4. Jan 24, 2009 #3
    Sorry i've just realised i got the coordinates of one of the vertices of the triangle muddled up. It should be (0,0),(1,0),(1,1) not (0,0),(0,1),(1,1) which i originally wrote.

The integration boundaries in polar coordinates do confuse me. With the correct vertices, surely r=1 at [itex]\theta = 0[/itex] and [itex]r=\sqrt{2}[/itex] at [itex]\theta = \pi / 4[/itex]. So these are my boundaries? Or am I misunderstanding it?

Thanks.

5. Jan 24, 2009 #4

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, you are correct about those values. But let's suppose that the theta integration is the outer one and the r-integration the inner one. That means that for every value of theta you will have to do the r-integral. So if [itex]\theta = 0[/itex] then r should run from 0 to 1, and if [itex]\theta = \pi / 4[/itex] then r should run from 0 to [itex]r=\sqrt{2}[/itex]. If [itex]\theta = \pi / 8[/itex] then r runs from 0 to ... ?

It is precisely analagous to the expression
    [tex]I = \int^{1}_{0}\int^{x}_{0}\frac{1}{(1+x^2)(1+y^2)} dy dx[/tex]
    you gave: when you do the inner integration over y, your x is fixed. You can pretend that you are walking along the x-axis, and for each point there doing the y-integral. However the upper boundary for y depends on what the "current" value of x is, so you have to integrate y from 0 to x and not from 0 to 1, despite the fact that y runs to 0 for x = 0 and y runs all the way to 1 for x = 1.

Do you understand?

6. Jan 24, 2009 #5
    Ah okay... I think i see now. So I should have wrote

[tex]I = \int^{1}_{0}\int^{x}_{0}\frac{1}{(1+x^2)(1+y^2)}dy dx = \int^{\pi/4}_{0}\int^{\sqrt2}_{0}\frac{r}{(1+r^2cos^2(\theta ))(1+r^2sin^2(\theta))}drd\theta[/tex] ... ?

7. Jan 24, 2009 #6

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, the point I was trying to make is that instead of [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex], you should have something which depends on [itex]\theta[/itex] - just like you have an x as integration boundary in the first form.

8. Jan 25, 2009 #7
    Ahh, i see! Right so it should be

[tex]I = \int^{1}_{0}\int^{x}_{0}\frac{1}{(1+x^2)(1+y^2)}dy dx = \int^{\pi/4}_{0}\int^{1/cos\theta}_{0}\frac{r}{(1+r^2cos^2(\theta ))(1+r^2sin^2(\theta))}drd\theta[/tex]

I'm still left unable to solve the integral though :-( Any tips for the best method to use?

Thanks!

9. Jan 26, 2009 #8

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Very good, that's what I had in mind too :smile:

Yes, that was a bit of a problem for me too... the easiest way I see would be something like this:
    First substitute [tex]x = r^2 \cos\theta \sin\theta[/tex] and write the integral in the form
    [tex]\int_0^{\cdots} \frac{1}{x^2 + a x + b} \, dx = \int_0^{\cdots} \frac{1}{(x - x_1)(x - x_2)} \, dx[/tex]
    then note that this integral is equal to
    [tex]\frac{\log(x + a) - \log(x + b)}{b - a}[/tex].
    In principle it looks easy, but prepare your trig identities... you will need them :sad:

10. Jan 26, 2009 #9
    Ah okay cool. I managed to do it using the substitution t=r^2 and then splitting it into partial fractions. Was a bit long-winded but got the right answer.

Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?