1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multiple integrals

1. Dec 21, 2005 #1
    Hi, I posted a question some time ago and the suggestion was to use some form of the product rule but I still can't figure out what to do.

Q. Let f(x,y,z) and g(x,y,z) be C^2 scalar functions. Let D be an elementary region in space and [tex]\partial D[/tex] be the closed surface that bounds D. Prove that

[tex]\int\limits_{}^{} {\int\limits_{}^{} {\int\limits_D^{} {\nabla f \bullet \nabla g} dV = \int\limits_{}^{} {\int\limits_{\partial D}^{} {f\nabla g \bullet dS} - \int\limits_{}^{} {\int\limits_{}^{} {\int\limits_D^{} {f\nabla ^2 gdV} } } } } } [/tex]

Can someone give me a hint as to where to start, like any relevant identies which could be of use? Any help is appreciated thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2005 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

The following identity should help:

[tex]\nabla \cdot (f \vec A) = \vec A \cdot \nabla f + f \nabla \cdot \vec A[/tex]

Which is just one of the 3D versions of the product rule. (You can substitute [itex]
    \nabla g[/itex] into this formula)

4. Dec 21, 2005 #3
    Thanks for the help, I'll try to finish this one off.

Edit: Hmm...I could've sworn that your post made mention of the divergence theorem before...nevermind, I'll keep that in mind.;)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2005
  5. Dec 22, 2005 #4

StatusX

Homework Helper

Yea, sorry about that. I had originally told you how to do the problem step by step, but I realized that's not what this forum is for, so I changed it. But yes, the divergence theorem is necessary.

6. Dec 22, 2005 #5
    Oh ok, it doesn't really matter too much now. The divergence theorem is the only connection I know of between surface and volume integrals so I probably would've used it eventually anyway.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?