Calculating Volume of Finite Region Using Multiple Integrals

In summary, the shadow of z=x^2 + 4y^2 in the xy-plane is z=X²+Y², intersecting the plane z=2X+4Y+4.
joker_900

Homework Statement

Hi, I've been trying this for days now and I really can't get it, so would appreciate some help please!

Find the volume of the finite region between the two surfaces z=x^2 + 4y^2 and z=2x + 8y + 4

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to do a double integral of (x^2 + 4y^2 - 2x - 8y - 4)dxdy. I thought the bounds of this on the x-y plane would be given by x^2 + 4y^2=2x + 8y + 4. However doing this gives a nasty quadratic for x in terms of y that makes things impossible. I'm also pretty sure I need to sub in something of the form x=a*r*cosP, y=b*r*sinP. The Jacobian for this would be abr.

I got thie bound to be between x=1-[5+8y - 4y^2] and 1 + [5+8y - 4y^2] and y = -0.5 and 5/2

I think this is wrong!

I tried subbing in the sin and cos things also, but don't know how to work out the bounds.

Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Think, what is the shadow of z=x^2 + 4y^2 in the xy-plane?

joker_900 said:
Find the volume of the finite region between the two surfaces z=x^2 + 4y^2 and z=2x + 8y + 4!

Hi joker_900! :smile:

(btw, feel free to copy ² and anything else you like for future use. :smile:)

Now, this isn't the best way of doing it … but when ever I get confused, I try to simplify the problem as much as possible … it may take a little longer … but that's better than being completely confused! :redface:

I would make the substitution X = x, Y = 2y.

Then we get a nice symmetric paraboloid, z = X² + Y², intersecting the plane z = 2X + 4Y + 4.

And then I'd simplify again by putting X´ = X + 2Y, Y´= 2X - Y (so they're perpendicular, and we have 5z = X´² + Y´² intersecting z = 2X´ + 4).

Does that help? :smile:

1. What is the formula for calculating the volume of a finite region using multiple integrals?

The formula for calculating the volume of a finite region using multiple integrals is: V = ∫∫∫ dV = ∫∫∫ f(x,y,z) dxdydz, where f(x,y,z) is the function representing the shape of the region and dV is the infinitesimal volume element.

2. How do you determine the limits of integration for multiple integrals?

The limits of integration for multiple integrals are determined by the boundaries of the region in each dimension. These boundaries can be determined by setting up the equations for the surfaces that define the region and solving for the values of each variable at the intersection points.

3. Can the volume of a finite region be calculated using only a single integral?

No, the volume of a finite region cannot be calculated using only a single integral. This is because a single integral only calculates the area under a curve in one dimension, whereas the volume of a finite region requires integration in three dimensions.

4. What are some common applications of calculating volume using multiple integrals?

Calculating volume using multiple integrals has many applications in science and engineering, including calculating the volume of irregularly shaped objects, finding the center of mass of an object, and determining fluid flow rates in fluid mechanics.

5. Can the volume of a finite region be negative?

No, the volume of a finite region cannot be negative. Volume is a measure of the amount of space enclosed by an object, and therefore it cannot have a negative value.