1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multiple Integrals

1. Apr 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi, I've been trying this for days now and I really can't get it, so would appreciate some help please!

Find the volume of the finite region between the two surfaces z=x^2 + 4y^2 and z=2x + 8y + 4

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried to do a double integral of (x^2 + 4y^2 - 2x - 8y - 4)dxdy. I thought the bounds of this on the x-y plane would be given by x^2 + 4y^2=2x + 8y + 4. However doing this gives a nasty quadratic for x in terms of y that makes things impossible. I'm also pretty sure I need to sub in something of the form x=a*r*cosP, y=b*r*sinP. The Jacobian for this would be abr.

I got thie bound to be between x=1-[5+8y - 4y^2] and 1 + [5+8y - 4y^2] and y = -0.5 and 5/2

I think this is wrong!

I tried subbing in the sin and cos things also, but don't know how to work out the bounds.

Please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2008 #2

benorin

Homework Helper

Think, what is the shadow of z=x^2 + 4y^2 in the xy-plane?

4. Apr 14, 2008 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi joker_900! :smile:

(btw, feel free to copy ² and anything else you like for future use. :smile:)

Now, this isn't the best way of doing it … but when ever I get confused, I try to simplify the problem as much as possible … it may take a little longer … but that's better than being completely confused! :redface:

I would make the substitution X = x, Y = 2y.

Then we get a nice symmetric paraboloid, z = X² + Y², intersecting the plane z = 2X + 4Y + 4.

And then I'd simplify again by putting X´ = X + 2Y, Y´= 2X - Y (so they're perpendicular, and we have 5z = X´² + Y´² intersecting z = 2X´ + 4).

Does that help? :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?