Multiple Integrals: What They Do & How to Understand Them

In summary, multiple integrals involve integrating over multiple variables, with each variable being treated as a constant in each step. This allows for a deeper understanding and manipulation of functions in mathematical calculations.
Grogerian
I'm just curious of what exactly multiple integrals are for example if you have
[tex]\int^{3}_{1}xdx[/tex]
you get 3-1[i think - it's been a while] but what does the second integral or 3rd and so on do to the function, I've looked ahead in my solutions manual and i think i understand part of it :D but id like to know / understand it a bit better it gave me this(from memory - my book isn't in front of me).

[tex]\int\int(x,y)(x^{2}dx+y^{2}dy) = \int(x^{2})*\int(y^{2})[/tex]

so all you're doing is splitting up x and y into separate integrals? - which doesn't make sense to me but :)

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to integrate over one variable at a time. So if are integrating over x first, treat y as a constant. Once you are done with the first integral, integrate over y and treat x constant.

1. What is the purpose of multiple integrals?

Multiple integrals are used to find the area, volume, or other quantities of a region in multiple dimensions. They are useful for solving problems in physics, engineering, and other fields that involve multi-dimensional spaces.

2. How many variables can be integrated with multiple integrals?

Multiple integrals can handle any number of variables, with each additional variable being represented by an additional integral sign. For example, a double integral involves two variables and a triple integral involves three variables.

3. What is the difference between a definite and indefinite multiple integral?

A definite multiple integral has specific limits of integration, meaning that it calculates the value of the integral within a specific region. An indefinite multiple integral does not have limits of integration and represents a family of functions that can be differentiated to obtain the original function.

4. How do you set up a multiple integral?

To set up a multiple integral, you need to determine the limits of integration for each variable and the integrand, which is the function being integrated. These limits are typically based on the geometry of the region being integrated. The integral can then be written as a series of nested integrals, with each integral representing a different variable.

5. What are some applications of multiple integrals in real life?

Multiple integrals have many practical applications in real life, such as calculating the volume of a three-dimensional object, finding the center of mass of an irregularly shaped object, and determining the probability of an event in a multi-dimensional space. They are also used in fields such as economics, biology, and computer graphics.