1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multiple output minimization

1. Jan 22, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://i.imgur.com/VYPECuW.png?1 (f1: f2: f3: f1*f2: f1*f3: f2*f3: f1*f2*f3: is what's written near tables)
    I need to minimize the functions (sum of minterms: f1 0, 1, 2, 4, 5, 11, 15; f2 0, 2, 4, 13, 15; f3 0, 1, 3, 4, 5, 7, 13, 15) using K-tables... This is what they show as procedure (they write after the picture:
    f1 = c+d+f
    f2 = b+c+e
    f3 = g+b/d + e/h
    and so on...

I see those (c, d, f, b, e, g, h) are the (essential) primary implicants in which there are shaded cells. I cannot determine how to find these shaded cells! I can't find the rule they used to determine them... I see that they must be in essential prim. implicants, but if I added another rule: for example they must not be in the f1*f2*f3, then why isn't also minterm[2] in f2 shaded? I've found some tutorials on the internet but they don't use these steps...

Thx in advance!
    (just to make it clear, i dont need a full solution, only how to find these shaded cells ~ what do they mean)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2015 #2
    Could someone help? I know how to do it using Quine McCluskey, I just can't understand what happened in that step; what's the method of solving these using k maps. Links, tutorial, anything?

4. Feb 7, 2015 #3
    Is the question unclear? Does nobody know how to minimize this?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted