Combining Hamiltonians for a Two-Particle System

H_{combined}\psi_{combined}=E_{n}\psi_{combined}In summary, to find a wavefunction representing a two-particle system with identical Hamiltonians, the combined Hamiltonian should be the sum of the individual Hamiltonians. The wave function can be a product of individual wave functions or a sum of such products with arbitrary coefficients.
erkokite
If I have two particles, each represented by an identical Hamiltonian, [tex]\hat{H}[/tex] and I want to find a wavefunction representing the two particle system, how do I do this? I've tried to create a combined Hamiltonian and find its eigenvectors like this:

[tex]\hat{H}_{combined}=\hat{H}\otimes\hat{H}[/tex]
[tex]\hat{H}_{combined}\psi=E_{n}\psi[/tex]

Note- the multiplication of the Hamiltonians is the tensor or kronecker product. I don't know if this is correct however. Could someone correct me if this is incorrect?

Many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The hamiltonian should be the sum of the two hamiltonians, not the product, because the energy of the two-particle system is the sum of the energies of each particle, not the product.

The wave function can be taken to be just a product of individual wave functions, or more generally a sum of such products with arbitrary coefficients.

So it should be equivalent to do either of these:

[tex]H_{combined}=H_{1}+H_{2}[/tex]
[tex]H_{combined}\psi_{combined}=E_{n}\psi_{combined}[/tex]

or

[tex]\psi_{combined}=\psi_{1}\otimes\psi_{2}[/tex]

1. What is a multiple particle system?

A multiple particle system refers to a group of particles that interact with each other and their environment. These particles can be either physical objects or virtual units in a simulation, and their movements and behaviors are affected by various forces and rules.

2. What are some real-world applications of multiple particle systems?

Multiple particle systems are commonly used in computer graphics and video game development to create realistic simulations of natural phenomena such as fire, smoke, and water. They are also used in scientific simulations to model the behavior of molecules, atoms, and other physical systems.

3. What are the key components of a multiple particle system?

The key components of a multiple particle system include the particles themselves, their initial conditions, the forces and rules that govern their behavior, and the environment in which they interact. Other important factors may include the type of simulation or model being used, the level of accuracy desired, and the intended purpose of the system.

4. How are multiple particle systems simulated and visualized?

Multiple particle systems can be simulated using various mathematical and computational techniques, such as Newton's laws of motion, molecular dynamics, and Monte Carlo methods. The resulting data can then be visualized using computer graphics algorithms to create realistic and dynamic animations or images.

5. What are some challenges and limitations of multiple particle systems?

One of the main challenges of multiple particle systems is accurately modeling and simulating the complex interactions between individual particles. This often requires significant computing power and can be computationally intensive. Additionally, some systems may need to account for external factors like collisions, fluid dynamics, and other environmental factors, which can add to the complexity and limitations of the simulation.