Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multiple principal stress

1. Jan 21, 2016 #1
    For 3 D loading with shear, if I use the principal stress formula, say for x-y direction, two principal stresses are obtained. If the same is applied to y-z, two more principal are obtained, with one supposed to be common, but not. Thus I obtain six principal values, which cannot be used with the von mises criterion to find yielding limit.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2016 #2
    You can't use the 2D equations for a 3D situation. To determine the principal directions and stresses in 3D, you need to solve the following eigenvalue problem: ##\vec{\sigma} \centerdot \vec{n}=\lambda \vec{n}##, where sigma is the stress tensor, n is a unit vector in one of the three principal directions, and lambda is the corresponding principal stress. This equation leads to 3 homogeneous linear algebraic equations in the components of n.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  4. Jan 22, 2016 #3
    After finding the eigen values, do the eigen vectors represent their direction? If they do, what do I make of more than one vector for one lambda?

5. Jan 22, 2016 #4
    The is only one 3D vector for each lambda.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook