1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multiple principal stress

1. Jan 21, 2016 #1
    For 3 D loading with shear, if I use the principal stress formula, say for x-y direction, two principal stresses are obtained. If the same is applied to y-z, two more principal are obtained, with one supposed to be common, but not. Thus I obtain six principal values, which cannot be used with the von mises criterion to find yielding limit.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2016 #2
    You can't use the 2D equations for a 3D situation. To determine the principal directions and stresses in 3D, you need to solve the following eigenvalue problem: ##\vec{\sigma} \centerdot \vec{n}=\lambda \vec{n}##, where sigma is the stress tensor, n is a unit vector in one of the three principal directions, and lambda is the corresponding principal stress. This equation leads to 3 homogeneous linear algebraic equations in the components of n.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  4. Jan 22, 2016 #3
    After finding the eigen values, do the eigen vectors represent their direction? If they do, what do I make of more than one vector for one lambda?

5. Jan 22, 2016 #4
    The is only one 3D vector for each lambda.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook