1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multiple Pulleys problem

1. Oct 24, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The block B moves to the right with a constant velocity of 30 cm/s. Given this, which of the following is correct:

1. Speed of block A is 15 cm/s
    2. Speed of point P is 60 cm/s
    3. Speed of point P is 30 cm/s
    4. Speed of block A is 40 cm/s

2. Relevant equations

Fnet = ma ?

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't know where to start. May be I will have to take each block separately, but I do not know the mass of either A or B nor the velocity of B.

http://www.pictureshack.us/images/346Q.png

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2011 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

Put a few words in red to draw your attention to them.

4. Oct 24, 2011 #3
    The velocity of A is uniform and in the same direction, 30 cm/s to the right and therefore the acceleration is zero. Since acceleration is constant throughout the system, B should also move with uniform velocity (a = 0).

F = W = ma. Since a is zero, does this mean no work is done? How do I find the velocity of the block A or the point P?

5. Oct 24, 2011 #4

PeterO

Homework Helper

This problem has nothing to do with Force, Work, Acceleration, mass or friction. It is all about speed -thus the distance travelled each unit of time.

In a short period of time, B will move 3 cm to the right [it is travelling at 30 cm/sec]
    What happens to the length of the top string while that happens?
    Where does that extra string come from or go to?
    How far will P and A move in that same time then?

Given the options, you can hope that P moves either 6 or 3 cm, Or A moves 1.5 cm or 4 cm.
    More importantly, only one of those had better happen or there is more than one correct answer.

6. Oct 24, 2011 #5
    I think the point P should also move with the same velocity as block B as the string at the top increases in length. I thought the answer would be choice (3), i.e. 30 cm/s, but apparently this is wrong and the answer is given as (2), i.e. 60 cm/s. This has me confused.

7. Oct 24, 2011 #6

PeterO

Homework Helper

If you put a reference point on the top string - call it Q - and consider the 3 cm move I suggested then ...

Q will be 3 cm further from the top pulley [Q is tied to the wall and the pulley is tied to B, which has moved 3 cm to the right].

That means the top string is 3 cm longer that it was.

That can only happen if 3 cm of string passes around the top pulley.

That will mean P moves 3 cm closer to the pulley; a pulley that has moved 3 cm.

Thus point P must have moved a total of 6 cm; meaning P is travelling at twice the speed of B - so 60cm/sec.

8. Oct 25, 2011 #7
    I get it now, thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook