Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multiple Ringworlds

1. Jul 26, 2017 #1
    Every time I see the sun that hangs over the map of Westeros (https://i.stack.imgur.com/pqf90.jpg) I find myself imaging a system of Niven ring megastructures around a star. I know it's preposterous, but just how preposterous is it?

Also, if it is remotely hypothetically plausible, would the rings have similar perceived gravity (assuming they were all similar in construction)?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2017 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

1) Personally, I'd rate it as preposterous but then I'd rate a single ringworld as preposterous (but perhaps not technically impossible; I'm not sure)
    2) They have different diameters but if spun at different speeds they could all have the same perceived gravity

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  4. Jul 26, 2017 #3
    How much mass does each ring have? Are they within the gravity well of another ring? IIRC Ringworld had a surface area of 600,000,000,000 square kilometers. Multiple ringworlds would have a multiple of that number. What would we do with all that space? Why would we need all that space?

Pretty picture, and there are things similar your idea on Deviant Art. Might look there for some ideas?

5. Jul 26, 2017 #4

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Niven wrote an article for Analog in 1974, which was later included in his anthology "A Hole in Space", which was titled "Bigger Than Worlds", in which he discusses a number of different types of mega-structures.

6. Jul 26, 2017 #5
    He noted in the preface to Ringworld Engineers that engineering students, at one of the comicons, had been chanting in the halls, "The Ringworld is unstable!" :cool:

7. Jul 27, 2017 #6
    I like the Cosmic Macaroni idea. Maybe the multiple rings are a single continuous band woven into a Celtic knot.

8. Jul 30, 2017 #7
    The ring megastructure is quite possible. The difficulty is giving the surface a perceivable gravity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted