Solve Multiple RLC Problems: Currents & Voltages

In summary, for problem a), using Ohm's law for AC networks, the current equation is i=4.44 sin(wt) and the voltage equation is v=56.57 sin(wt). The phase angle for the voltage equation may be either -90 or +90, depending on the complex impedance of the circuit.For problem b), the current equation is i=0.8 sin(1000t-30) and the voltage equation is v=4 sin(1000t-30). The average value of current is 0.5 A, and the phase difference between voltage and current is not zero due to the circuit not being resonant.
JasonHathaway

Homework Statement

a)[/B] For the following circuit, if Vrms= 40V, write the current and the voltage equations.
http://www.imageupload.co.uk/images/2015/02/26/Captureaa814.png

b) For the following circuit, if i=0.8 sin(1000t-30), write the voltage equation and determine the average value of current.
http://www.imageupload.co.uk/images/2015/02/26/Capture2.png

Homework Equations

Ohm law for AC network.

The Attempt at a Solution

a) [/B] Vmax=Vrms/0.707=56.57 V
ZT=sqrt(R^2+XL^2)=12.72 ohms
Imax=Vmax/Z=4.44 A

So the equations would be:
i=Imax sin(wt) = 4.44 sin (wt)
v=Vmax sin(wt) = 56.57 sin(wt)

Should I write -90 or +90 since I'm dealing with inductor?

b) Since Imax=0.8 A, Vmax=Imax*ZT =0.8*5=4 (ZT=sqrt(R^2+(XL-XC)^2) =5)
v=4 sin(1000t-30)

Iavg=2*Imax/pi = 0.5 A (Or is it zero since we are dealing with sine wave?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Jason,

a) Neither -90 nor +90: it isn't a purely inductive load. Can you handle complex impedance ?

b) Again: there is a phase difference between V and I . Non-zero, because not resonant: XL not equal to XC
Average I zero ? true but corny.

BvU said:
a) Neither -90 nor +90: it isn't a purely inductive load. Can you handle complex impedance ?
I meant the equation for the voltage source itself.

BvU said:
b) Again: there is a phase difference between V and I . Non-zero, because not resonant: XL not equal to XC
Average I zero ? true but corny.
Also, I mean the equation for the source itself.
For the average value, should I dismiss 2*Imax/pi?

Are you asking if the number you plug in for Vmax in problem "a" should have a phase angle associated with it? I would assume no. It would be explicitly stated in the problem.

jasonleroy said:
Are you asking if the number you plug in for Vmax in problem "a" should have a phase angle associated with it? I would assume no. It would be explicitly stated in the problem.
OK. And for problem b)?

I maintain that the wording
JasonHathaway said:
write the current and the voltage equations
constitutes asking for amplitude and phase angle. The angle is pretty easy to solve with these values for ##|Z_R|## and ##|Z_L|## and you want to pay attention that you get the correct sign. b) idem.

Likes jasonleroy

1. What is an RLC circuit?

An RLC circuit is an electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C). These components are connected in either series or parallel, and the circuit is used to study the behavior of electrical currents and voltages.

2. How do I solve multiple RLC problems?

To solve multiple RLC problems, you will need to use a combination of Ohm's law, Kirchhoff's laws, and basic principles of series and parallel circuits. You will also need to use equations specific to RLC circuits, such as the impedance equation and the current and voltage equations for each component.

3. What are the key concepts to understand when solving RLC problems?

The key concepts to understand when solving RLC problems include understanding the behavior of resistors, capacitors, and inductors in circuits, understanding how to calculate impedance, and understanding how to apply Kirchhoff's laws to solve for currents and voltages in a circuit.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving RLC problems?

Common mistakes to avoid when solving RLC problems include forgetting to account for the units of measurement, forgetting to use the correct equations for each component, and not properly applying Kirchhoff's laws. It is also important to double-check calculations and make sure all steps are clearly shown.

5. How can I check my answers when solving RLC problems?

To check your answers when solving RLC problems, you can use a simulation software or a circuit analysis tool. These tools allow you to input the values of the components in your circuit and simulate the behavior of currents and voltages. You can compare your calculated values to the simulated values to ensure accuracy.