Multiple Sclerosis Home Health Care

In summary, the speaker is asking for information from anyone with experience in acquiring home health care for a family member with advanced multiple sclerosis and dementia. They mention the high cost of full-time care and ask for resources or information to help them find a more affordable option such as In Home Support Services.
Aero51
I don't know if this post is in the correct location but I have a very serious question. I need information from anyone with experience in acquiring home health care to MS patients with dementia or other severely disabled family members. Basically, the person in my family has such an advanced case of multiple sclerosis that they need full time home care at a minimum. The "ideal" (yeah, right...) situation would be that she is put into a home where she can receive the proper care. However, such a change will cost thousands of dollars. If anyone has experience, resources, or information that would enable my family to put her in proper care without such extreme costs, please let me know. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Many states have IHSS, In Home Support Services, or In Home Social Services:

http://www.dss.cahwnet.gov/cdssweb/pg139.htm

You'll have to find out what your particular state has along these lines, if anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is Multiple Sclerosis (MS)?

Multiple Sclerosis (MS) is a chronic autoimmune disease that affects the central nervous system. It is characterized by inflammation and damage to the myelin sheath, which is the protective covering around nerve fibers. This can lead to a variety of symptoms such as muscle weakness, vision problems, and difficulties with coordination and balance.

What is Home Health Care for MS?

Home health care for MS is a type of medical care provided in the patient's home by a trained healthcare professional. This can include services such as physical therapy, occupational therapy, and nursing care. The goal of home health care is to help patients manage their symptoms, maintain their independence, and improve their overall quality of life.

Who can benefit from Home Health Care for MS?

Home health care for MS can benefit anyone who is living with this chronic disease. It can be especially beneficial for those who have difficulty leaving their home due to mobility issues, fatigue, or other symptoms. Home health care can also be helpful for family caregivers who may need assistance in caring for their loved one with MS.

What services are typically included in Home Health Care for MS?

The specific services included in home health care for MS will vary depending on the individual's needs and the healthcare provider. However, some common services may include medication management, physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, and assistance with daily activities such as bathing and dressing. Home health care providers can also offer education and support for both the patient and their family members.

How can I find a reliable Home Health Care provider for MS?

To find a reliable home health care provider for MS, it is important to do research and ask for recommendations from healthcare professionals or other individuals who have experience with MS. It is also important to thoroughly interview potential providers and ask about their experience and qualifications. In addition, make sure to check if the provider is licensed and accredited by the appropriate organizations.