Multiple wavelengths of light through much larger single slit

In summary, the peaks spread over neighboring wavelengths in a Gaussian distribution due to diffraction and the FWHM of the spread can be calculated by finding the half maximum points on either side of the peak. This can be applied to Raman spectroscopy by determining the FWHM at each wavelength and using this data in the analysis of vibrational and rotational transitions.
littlepapa87
A text I am reading noted that as a multichromatic light source (consisting of many individual peaks) is passed through the my slit (order .25mm) the peaks will be spread over the neighboring wavelengths in a roughly Gaussian distribution. I am trying to understand why this is, and how I would go about finding the FWHM of the spread in wavelength space.

my application for this is Raman spectroscopy. For my work the light is scattering at 580nm 607nm along with a few others for vibrational transitions, and from 532-560ish for rotational transitions.

Science news on Phys.org
The reason why the peaks spread over neighboring wavelengths in a Gaussian distribution is due to diffraction. When light passes through a very small slit, it is diffracted and spreads out in a Gaussian distribution. This is because when a wave is passed through a narrow slit, the waves interfere with one another and create a pattern of constructive and destructive interference. The constructive interference creates a peak in the middle, with the surrounding regions showing decreased intensities due to the destructive interference. To find the FWHM of the spread in wavelength space, you would need to calculate the Full Width at Half Maximum (FWHM) of the Gaussian curve. You can do this by finding the half maximum points on either side of the peak, and subtracting their values. This will give you the total FWHM for the peak. In order to apply this to Raman spectroscopy, you would need to determine the FWHM of the peaks at each of the wavelengths you are measuring (580nm, 607nm, etc). This can be done by calculating the FWHM of the Gaussian curve at each of these wavelengths. Once you have determined the FWHM for each of the peaks, you can then use this data to analyze the vibrational and rotational transitions.

What is the purpose of studying multiple wavelengths of light through a large single slit?

The study of multiple wavelengths of light through a large single slit allows us to better understand the behavior of light and how it interacts with different materials. It also has practical applications in fields such as optics, astronomy, and telecommunications.

How does the width of the slit affect the diffraction pattern of multiple wavelengths of light?

The width of the slit plays a significant role in the diffraction pattern of multiple wavelengths of light. A wider slit will result in a wider and more spread out diffraction pattern, while a narrower slit will produce a narrower and more intense pattern.

What is the relationship between the wavelength of light and the diffraction pattern produced by a single slit?

The wavelength of light and the diffraction pattern produced by a single slit are inversely proportional. This means that as the wavelength of light increases, the spacing between the bright and dark fringes in the diffraction pattern also increases.

Can multiple wavelengths of light be diffracted at the same time through a single slit?

Yes, multiple wavelengths of light can be diffracted at the same time through a single slit. This is because the diffraction of light is a property of the slit itself and not the individual wavelengths of light passing through it.

How does the distance between the slit and the screen affect the diffraction pattern of multiple wavelengths of light?

The distance between the slit and the screen has a direct impact on the diffraction pattern of multiple wavelengths of light. As the distance increases, the diffraction pattern becomes more spread out and the individual fringes become less distinct.