Solve a Riddle with Base System Minus 1 - Nadine

In summary, Nadine has a riddle about adding and subtracting digits in different number systems. She gives an example of this in decimal and octal systems and asks for help in understanding the pattern. Another user explains that the difference between the original number and the sum of its digits can be calculated using the base of the number system, which always results in a multiple of the base minus 1. Nadine is grateful for the explanation and thanks the user.
nados29
Hi,
I've a riddle that I can't solve. I hope someone can help me in it.

Here is it:

If we have a number and add the digits of that number, then subtract the summation we got from the original number, why is the result always multiples of the base system minus 1.

Here is an example using the decimal system (base 10)

The original number is 51, we add the digits, so we get 5+1=6, we subtract it from the original number we got 51-6=45 which is a multiple of 9 (Base 10 -1)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another example in the octal system (base 8)

We have 55, we add the digits we got 12 (octal) or 10 (decimal), we subtract so we have 55-12= 43 (octal) or 35 (decimal) which is a multiple of 7 (base 8 -1)

I hope someone can help me in figuring out this puzzle.
Thanks,
Nadine

Physics news on Phys.org
Let us write a number N as follows:
[tex]N=\sum_{i=0}^{M}a_{i}b^{i}[/tex]
where b is the base.
The sum S of the digits is evidently: [tex]S=\sum_{i=0}^{M}a_{i}[/tex]
Hence, the difference D is:
[tex]D=\sum_{i=0}^{M}a_{i}(b^{i}-1)[/tex]
Does that clear it up for you?

Last edited:
Thanks a lot :smile:
I never thought it can be that simple.

Thanks again,
Nadine

Welcome to PF, BTW!

1. What is the base system minus 1?

The base system minus 1, also known as the "negabinary" system, is a numerical system that uses the base -1. This means that each digit has a value of either -1 or 0. It is often used in computer science and mathematics for its efficient representation of negative numbers.

2. How do you solve a riddle with base system minus 1?

To solve a riddle with base system minus 1, you must convert the given numbers into their negabinary form. Then, you can perform the necessary operations using the rules of the negabinary system to find the solution.

3. Can you give an example of a riddle using base system minus 1?

Sure! Here's one: "I am a number in base 10, but in base -1 I am written as 1100. What number am I?" The answer is -6, as 1100 in negabinary form is equivalent to 12 in decimal form.

4. What are the advantages of using base system minus 1?

One advantage is its efficient representation of negative numbers, as mentioned before. Another advantage is its usefulness in certain mathematical operations, such as addition and subtraction, which can be simplified using negabinary rules.

5. Are there any real-life applications of base system minus 1?

Yes, base system minus 1 has been used in computer science for efficient data compression and in cryptography for secure communication. It has also been studied in abstract algebra and has potential applications in error-correcting codes.