Why Multiples of Three are Divisible by 3

• Thread starter Char. Limit
  • Start date
In summary, the rule states that if the sum of the digits of a number written in base 10 is divisible by 3, then the number itself is also divisible by 3. This is due to the congruence property of base 10, where each power of 10 is equivalent to 1 (mod 3). This rule can also be applied to other bases, such as 8 and 4. In general, a number in base n will be divisible by n-1 if the sum of its digits is divisible by n-1.
Char. Limit
Gold Member
Why is it that if the sum of the digits of a number is divisible by three, the number itself is also divisible by three?

I've tried to do it, but I can't get anywhere. This is the best I have.

Start with an integer x, which can also be written thus...

[tex]x=x_1+x_2\times10+x_3\times10^2+x_4\times10^3+...+x_i\times10^{i-1}[/tex]

Which gives us the digits of x. So, why is it that if...

[tex]\frac{\sum_{i=1}^{n} x_i}{3} \in \mathbb{Z}[/tex]

then...

[tex]\frac{x}{3} \in \mathbb{Z}[/tex]

for an n-digit number x?

Physics news on Phys.org
Because you're working in base 10, and 10 = 1 (mod 3). If you were working in base 8, then the sum of the digits would be divisible by 7 iff the original number was.

You should understand congruences:
[tex]
\begin{array}{c}
1 \equiv 1 (\textrm{mod} \, 3) \\
10 \equiv 1 (\textrm{mod} \, 3) \\
10^{2} \equiv 1 (\textrm{mod} \, 3) \\
\cdots \\
10^{n} \equiv 1 (\textrm{mod} \, 3)
\end{array}
[/tex]
Multiplying each of the congruences by [tex]a_{n}[/tex], where [tex]a_{n}[/tex] is the nth digit from the right (the first one being labeled by [tex]a_{0}[/tex]), and having in mind that:

[tex]
x = \overline{a_{n} \cdots a_{1} a_{0}} = a_{n}*10^{n} + \cdots a_{1}*10 + a_{0}
[/tex]

so

[tex]
x \equiv (a_{n} + \cdots + a_{1} + a_{0}) (\textrm{mod} \, 3)
[/tex]

Similarly, you can derive other criteria for divisibility.

CRGreathouse said:
Because you're working in base 10, and 10 = 1 (mod 3). If you were working in base 8, then the sum of the digits would be divisible by 7 iff the original number was.

Dickfore said:
You should understand congruences:
[tex]
\begin{array}{c}
1 \equiv 1 (mod 3) \\
10 \equiv 1 (mod 3) \\
10^{2} \equiv 1 (mod 3) \\
\dotslow \\
10^{n} \equiv 1 (mod 3)
\end{array}
[/tex]
Multiplying each of the congruences [tex]by a_{n}[/tex], where [tex]a_{n}[/tex] is the nth digit from the right (the first one being labeled by [tex]a_{0}[/tex]), and having in mind that:

[tex]
x = \overline{a_{n} \dotslow a_{1} a_{0}} = a_{n}*10^{n} + \dotslow a_{1}*10 + a_0{}
[/tex]

so

[tex]
x \equiv (a_{n} + \dotslow + a_{1} + a_{0}) (mod 3)
[/tex]

Similarly, you can derive other criteria for divisibility.

Thanks for the answers, I get it now. It makes total sense when you think about congruence, I guess.

Actually it is more like number (written in base 10) is divisible by 9 if sum of digits is divisible by 9, 3 is just a side effect.

In general, this rule works for numbers in base n being divisible by n-1 if sum of digits is divisible by n-1.

So the divisible-by-three rule would also work in base four, base seven, and any base 3n+1 then...

Thanks.

1. Why are multiples of three divisible by 3?

Multiples of three are divisible by 3 because the number 3 is a factor of all multiples of three. This means that when a multiple of three is divided by 3, there is no remainder, making it a whole number.

2. How can you prove that multiples of three are divisible by 3?

This can be proved using the divisibility rule for 3, which states that if the sum of the digits of a number is divisible by 3, then the number itself is also divisible by 3. Since all multiples of three have a sum of digits that is divisible by 3, they are also divisible by 3.

3. Are there any exceptions to the rule that multiples of three are divisible by 3?

Yes, there are a few exceptions. Numbers that end in 3 or 6 are always divisible by 3, but not all numbers that end in 0 are divisible by 3. For example, 10 is a multiple of three, but 100 is not.

4. Can this rule be extended to other numbers besides 3?

Yes, this rule can be extended to other numbers. The rule for divisibility by 3 applies to any number whose digits add up to a multiple of that number. For example, the rule for divisibility by 9 states that if the sum of the digits of a number is divisible by 9, then the number itself is also divisible by 9.

5. How does the divisibility by 3 rule relate to patterns in numbers?

The divisibility by 3 rule is related to patterns in numbers because it is a way of identifying numbers that have a specific relationship with 3. By understanding this rule, we can better understand and predict patterns in numbers and their properties.