How is multiplication defined and how does it relate to the natural numbers?

In summary, multiplication is an operation with these properties: a(b+c)=ab+ac and (a+b)c=ac+bc, a*0=0 and a*1=a. The two properties Zurtex mentioned ab=ba and a(bc)=(ab)c-I "forgot" to mention them because I didn't use them in what is included in this post. Also the naturals are produced from the function S(n)=n+1, meaning that for every n=natural, S(n)=natural. So starting from 0 and 1, we can "create" any natural.
C0nfused
Hi everybody,
We define multiplication as an operation with these properties :
a(b+c)=ab+ac and (a+b)c=ac+bc ,a*0=0 and a*1=a with a,b,c natural numbers and of course the two properties Zurtex mentioned ab=ba and a(bc)=(ab)c-I "forgot" to mention them because I didn't use them in what is included in this post . Also the naturals are produced from the function S(n)=n+1, meaning that for every n=natural, S(n)=natural. So starting from 0 and 1, we can "create" any natural.

Question: the definition of multiplication as repeatitive addition,
m*n=m+m+...+m (n m's are added) (n natural) is a result of the above definitions? I mean, the fact that every natural is equal to the sum of its previous natural and 1 shows that every natural n is an addition of n 1's. So
n=1+1+...1 (n 1's are added). Using this result and the generalisation of the distributive property we get that m*n=m*(1+1+...+1)=m+m+...+m (n times) (with m ending up as any quantity)

Are these correct? If so, do they have any actual meaning?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For multiplication of integers you have the commutative law:

a*b = b*a

The associative law:

(a*b)*c = a*(b*c)

And the multiplicative identity:

a*1=a

When you include addition you get the distributive law:

a*(b + c) = a*b + a*c

As well as the various law of addition:

a + b = b + a

a + 0 = 0

a + (-a) = 0 (where -a is the additive inverse and it has yet to be proved that -1*a = -a)

From these laws (and a few more) you can construct all the laws of the integers entirely.

My question still remains because I have seen multiplication defined both ways: with the properties and with the term "repeatitive(?i am not sure if it's called this way) addition". Is the latter just a result of these properties? Is what I have written the correct way to reach this result?
Thanks again

What you mean by "repetative addition" is this recursive definition of multiplication on the natural numbers:

0*y = 0
(x+1)*y = x*y + y

It's a useful exercise to prove that this definition (and that of addition) satisfy the axioms that Zurtex posted. (except for the last, which is not true for the natural numbers)

C0nfused said:
m*n=m*(1+1+...+1)=m+m+...+m (n times)
I assume your questions are

1) Does this follow from the standard axioms of arithmetic?
Yes. (At least you can prove m*2=m+m, m*3=m+m+m and so on)

2) Wouldn't this be just as good a way to define multiplication in the axioms?
The problem here is with the ..., which isn't really defined. So you end up having to say what you mean by m+m+...m (n times), which just gets you back where you started.

Hurkyl said:
It's a useful exercise to prove that this definition (and that of addition) satisfy the axioms that Zurtex posted. (except for the last, which is not true for the natural numbers)
I've never included 0 in the set of Natural Numbers but as I clearly specify in my post I am talking about integers. I wasn't sure what rules to put up but as I was writing it the title thread "Multiplication of integers" was the only thing that really caught my attention.

Zurtex said:
For multiplication of integers you have the commutative law:
a + 0 = 0

are you sure about that? :tongue:

hehe... :devil:

strid said:
are you sure about that? :tongue:

hehe... :devil:
Lame ... :shy:

1. What is the rule for multiplying two integers?

The rule for multiplying two integers is that if the signs of the two numbers are the same (both positive or both negative), the product will be positive. If the signs are different, the product will be negative.

2. Can you give an example of multiplying two integers?

Yes, for example, multiplying -3 and 5 would result in -15 because the signs are different (one negative and one positive).

3. What happens when you multiply a positive integer by 0?

Multiplying a positive integer by 0 will always result in 0. This is because no matter what number is being multiplied by 0, the product will always be 0.

4. How do you handle multiplying more than two integers?

To multiply more than two integers, you can use the same rule as multiplying two integers. Start by multiplying the first two numbers, and then use the product as one of the numbers when multiplying the third number, and so on until all the numbers have been multiplied.

5. Is there a difference between multiplying positive and negative integers?

Yes, there is a difference between multiplying positive and negative integers. When multiplying positive integers, the product will always be positive. When multiplying negative integers, the product will always be negative. However, the process for multiplying them is the same.