Matrix Multiplication for Vertical Vectors

In summary, the problem is that you don't understand matrix multiplication. You can multiply two matrices if the number of columns of the first matrix equals the number of rows of the second matrix.
Cosmossos
Hello,
I came to some problems with multiplcation of some matrices.
how do I multply this:
x
y
z

with
a
b
c

those are vertical vectors.
thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's not possible to multiply those two vectors using matrix multiplication. To multiply two matrices, the number of columns of the first must equal the number of rows of the second. Both of your matrices are 3x1 and cannot therefore mutliply each other. If you were to transpose one, then you could multiply them.

...and that would be their inner product.

I know , that's why I didn't have a clue what to do. the problem is that I don't have a choice becasue I got integral like this:
untitled.JPG

And it's given in the question

...and that would be their inner product.

Only when you transpose the first vector. If you transpose the second vector you will get a 3x3 matrix.

@rochfor: true
@Cosmossos: you are forgetting the psi which is in between!

so? I can put the psi in the beginning ,no?

I got the same problem here:
untitled.JPG

How do I make it look like:
untitled1.JPG
?
It makes sense if I think about it as a scalar product, but I don't know how ...

Last edited:
Of course not, since then you end up with your first question about an undefined product! You can't evaluate an integral if you don't understand what the terms in the integrand mean.

so what do I do? Psi is a function after all Can you reread my question? I added some things

Thanks I got it!

I believe you are trying to take the deger of the column vector, don't forget that deger acts also as a transpose operator (and also complex conjugation), so [tex]\psi ^{+}[/tex] is a row vector with components [tex](\psi_{1}*, \psi_{2}*)[/tex]

P.S. Are you taking a course in the Technion?

1. What is the definition of matrix multiplication?

Matrix multiplication is a mathematical operation that takes two matrices as inputs and produces a new matrix as the output. It is defined as the combination of rows and columns from the two matrices, where each element in the resulting matrix is the sum of products of corresponding elements from the rows and columns.

2. What is the importance of matrix multiplication in mathematics?

Matrix multiplication is an essential operation in mathematics, particularly in linear algebra and geometry. It is used to solve systems of linear equations, transform geometric shapes and objects, and perform various calculations in physics, economics, and computer science.

3. How is matrix multiplication different from regular multiplication?

Matrix multiplication differs from regular multiplication in several ways. First, it is not commutative, which means that changing the order of the matrices will result in a different product. Second, the number of columns in the first matrix must match the number of rows in the second matrix for the operation to be defined. Finally, the product of two matrices will always result in a new matrix, while regular multiplication can result in a scalar or a vector.

4. What is the role of the identity matrix in matrix multiplication?

The identity matrix, denoted by I, is a special matrix that when multiplied with another matrix, results in the same matrix as the output. It acts as the multiplicative identity in matrix multiplication, just like the number 1 in regular multiplication. The dimensions of the identity matrix are determined by the number of rows or columns in the original matrix.

5. Can any two matrices be multiplied together?

No, not all matrices can be multiplied together. As mentioned before, the number of columns in the first matrix must match the number of rows in the second matrix for the operation to be defined. For example, a 3x4 matrix can be multiplied by a 4x2 matrix, resulting in a 3x2 matrix, but it cannot be multiplied by a 2x3 matrix. It is essential to check the dimensions of the matrices before attempting to multiply them together.