Multiplication tables in LaTeX

In summary, the conversation is about difficulties with formatting a table in a LaTeX document. The speaker is looking for ways to make the table bigger and change its position, as well as add another table next to it. However, they ultimately figure out the solution on their own.
Fredrik
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'd like to type a few tables similar to the one below into a LaTeX document.

[tex]
\begin{tabular}{c|cc}
$\cdot$ & 1 & -1 \\
\hline
1 & 1 & -1 \\
-1 & -1 & 1 \\
\end{tabular}
[/tex]

It comes out much smaller than this in my LaTeX document. Is there an easy way to make it bigger? Also, it appears on the far left. Can I change the position? Can I put another table to the right of the first one?

Edit: Never mind. Seems like every time I ask a question that I haven't been able to answer in an annoyingly long time, I figure out the answer within a few minutes after I post the question. My table was smaller because it was inside a table environment, and it really doesn't need to be. And the align environment can be used to display two tables on the same line.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Good that you found to solution to your problem.

1. How do I create a multiplication table in LaTeX?

To create a multiplication table in LaTeX, you can use the tabular environment and the \multicolumn command to format the table. You can also use the \hline command to create horizontal lines in the table.

2. How do I customize the appearance of my multiplication table in LaTeX?

You can customize the appearance of your multiplication table in LaTeX by using different table formatting options such as \hline, \cline, and \multicolumn. You can also adjust the size and alignment of the columns and rows to create a visually appealing table.

3. Can I include mathematical symbols in my multiplication table in LaTeX?

Yes, you can include mathematical symbols in your multiplication table in LaTeX by using the appropriate commands, such as \times for multiplication and \div for division. You can also use the \frac command to display fractions in your table.

4. How can I add labels and captions to my multiplication table in LaTeX?

You can add labels and captions to your multiplication table in LaTeX by using the \caption and \label commands. These commands allow you to provide a title for your table and reference it in your document.

5. Is it possible to create a large multiplication table in LaTeX?

Yes, it is possible to create a large multiplication table in LaTeX by using the longtable package. This package allows you to split your table across multiple pages, making it suitable for larger tables. You can also adjust the column widths and font size to fit your desired table size.