Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multiplicative Inverses

1. Nov 8, 2007 #1
    In class today, my teacher said,

"the definition for multiplicative inverses in the R (real numbers) does not give an inverse for
    the real number [1/n] element of R."

What does this mean? It seems counterintuitive, and I can't figure out why it's true.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2007 #2
    What is the real number [1/n]? The reals with usual multiplication and adddition form a field, so every real number does have a multiplicative inverse except for 0.

4. Nov 8, 2007 #3

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[x] is often used to mean the greatest integer in x. Using this notation [1/n]=0 for n>1.

5. Nov 8, 2007 #4
    You do have to admit, though, that this is a rather odd way of referring to 0.

6. Nov 8, 2007 #5
    Oops

I figured it out actually. It has to do specifically with how we defined multiplicative inverses on the real numbers

i.e.

If (an) not equivalent to (0) is a cauchy sequence then (an)^-1 is equal to (bn) where bn = { 1/an when (an) not equal to 0, 1 when (an)=0.

So, if you take the sequence (1/n), in particular, bn = n which is not a cauchy sequence. And because the real numbers are defined as the equivalence classes of cauchy sequences, this inverse does not hold.

7. Nov 9, 2007 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Okay, so your [1/n] mean "the set of all Cauchy sequences equivalent to the sequence {1/n}". You really should have said that- especially since there are many other ways of defining the real numbers! That equivalence class also includes the sequence {0} consisting of all 0s- in fact it includes every Cauchy sequence that converges to 0. Now, my question is, what is the definition, in terms of Cauchy sequences, for "multiplicative inverses in R"?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?