1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multiplicity of Eigenvalues

1. Apr 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The matrix [itex]A = \begin {bmatrix} 0 & -1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 \end{bmatrix}[/itex] has two real eigenvalues, one of multiplicity 2 and one of multiplicity 1. Find the eigenvalues and a basis of each eigenspace.

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've done cofactor expansion to come up with the equation [itex] - \lambda^3 - \lambda^2[/itex], and that the eigenvalues are therefore -1 and 0, but I don't know how to determine the multiplicity of each. I've looked it up and have gotten nowhere. I can do the rest of the problem, I just don't know how to get these multiplicities.

EDIT: Working on the problem further, and I got the basis for -1. There are supposed to be two vectors for 0, however, but the RREF of the matrix is [itex]\begin{bmatrix} 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}[/itex]. How does that translate to two eigenvectors?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

That's not an equation. The equation is [itex] - \lambda^3 - \lambda^2[/itex] = 0, or ##\lambda^2(\lambda + 1) = 0##
    Can you see that one of the eigenvalues has multiplicity 2 and the other has multiplicity 1?

4. Apr 18, 2012 #3
    Ah, yes, I just couldn't simplify that properly; sorry! Thank you!

[STRIKE]But now the second part -- how does that matrix equate to two eigenvectors?[/STRIKE]

I'm an idiot; I figured it out. Thanks again!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook