Multiply by the number of moles of that substance

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter sugarandspice
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moles
In summary, the equation says to multiply the numbers by the amount of moles of each substance. To do this, you need to balance the equation and calculate the enthalpy change for the reaction.
sugarandspice
How do I figure out how many moles to mutiply by?

It says "multiply by the number of moles of that substance"

How do I figure that out?

Here's where I am:

H2O(l)= - 285.830 kJ/mol x ___ mol

NH3(g)= -46.11 kj/mol x ___ mol

---

And what does the L or G mean for the equation?:grumpy:

Physics news on Phys.org
How do I figure out how many moles to mutiply by?

Is this an exercise?
If it is, they must say the number of moles of H2O and the number of moles of NH3.

And what does the L or G mean for the equation?

l and g are the states of water and ammonia and they stand for liquid and gaseous, respectively. In this situation, I think they are not important, but I don't understand well this exercise.

This is the question:

Balance the equation and Calculate the enthalpy change for the following reaction:

NH3(g) + O2(g) --> N2(g) + H2O(l)

NH3(g)= -46.11 kj/mol

O2(g) = 0 kJ/mol

N2(g) = 0 kJ/mol

H20(l)= - 285.830 kJ/mol

I know that to begin, I need to multiply the numbers above by the amount of moles in the substances. I think. LOL

First, we balance the equation:

2NH3(g) + 1.5O2(g) --> N2(g) + 3H2O(l)

Enthalpy change = enthalpy of products - enthalpy of reactants
Enthalpy change = 2 mol x -46.11 kj/mol - 3 mol x - 285.830 kJ/mol
Enthalpy change = -92.2 + 857.49
Enthalpy change = 765.29 kJ

Note: I haven't learned yet to resolve enthalpy change problems in school like this, but is the only way I see to resolve it. I seriously advise you to wait for a confirmation or correction of this resolution. I just tried to help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking over my notes, it looks like you hit it right on! I'm still a *little* fuzzy but I can't thank you enough for helping me out. I was going to have to submit this with no idea what I was doing.. :) Any help at all is better than no help. Thankyou SO much for your help.

1. What does it mean to "multiply by the number of moles of that substance"?

When we say "multiply by the number of moles of that substance," we are referring to the number of moles of a particular substance in a given sample. This is a way to express the amount of a substance in terms of its atomic or molecular weight, and is commonly used in chemistry calculations.

2. How do you calculate the number of moles of a substance?

To calculate the number of moles of a substance, you divide the mass of the substance by its molar mass. This will give you the number of moles of the substance in that sample.

3. Why is it important to consider the number of moles when performing calculations?

The number of moles is important because it allows us to compare the amounts of different substances based on their molecular weight. This is especially useful in chemical reactions, where the amounts of reactants and products must be balanced.

4. Can you explain the concept of molar mass?

Molar mass is the mass of one mole of a substance. It is expressed in grams per mole (g/mol). This concept is important because it helps us convert between the mass of a substance and the number of moles of that substance.

5. How do you know which substance to multiply by the number of moles in a given calculation?

The substance to multiply by the number of moles will depend on the specific calculation being performed. In general, you will need to determine which substance is the reactant or product of interest, and use its molar mass to calculate the number of moles. It is important to pay attention to the units and make sure they are consistent throughout the calculation.