Mastering Logarithms: Simplifying 1/4ln(x+2) + 1/3ln(x+3) for Homework

• Thread starter cragar
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing how to combine the two logarithmic terms 1/4ln(x+2) and 1/3ln(x+3). The method proposed is to bring the factors outside the logarithms as powers before combining them. It is also suggested to write the terms as 1/4 * ln(x+2) + 1/3 * ln(x+3) to avoid confusion.
cragar

Homework Statement

1/4ln(x+2) + 1/3ln(x+3)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

k so i know when we add log we can mulptily them an the number in front
of it is the power.
so would it be ln{(x+2)(x+3)} do we just multiply the numbers in front of the logs or do we add them

Physics news on Phys.org

a*ln(b)=ln(b^a). So if you want to combine the two logs I would bring the factors outside into the log as powers before combining them.

ok i got ya

Also, I would interpret 1/4ln(x+2) + 1/3ln(x+3) as you probably meant it (with the two ln terms in the numerators), but it might cause confusion with some people.

It's probably better to write this as 1/4 * ln(x+2) + 1/3 * ln(x+3), making it clearer that the first ln term is being multiplied by 1/4 and the second by 1/3.

1. How do I simplify the expression 1/4ln(x+2) + 1/3ln(x+3)?

To simplify this expression, you will first need to use logarithm rules to combine the two logarithms into one. This can be done by using the rule ln(a) + ln(b) = ln(ab). Applying this rule, we get 1/4ln[(x+2)(x+3)]. Next, you can use the rule ln(a^b) = bln(a) to rewrite the expression as 1/4ln[(x+2)^1/4(x+3)^1/3]. Finally, you can use the power rule to simplify the expression to 1/4ln[(x+2)^(1/4) * (x+3)^(1/3)].

2. What does the "ln" in the expression stand for?

The "ln" in this expression stands for the natural logarithm function, which is the inverse of the exponential function y = e^x. It is typically written as ln(x) and represents the power to which the base number e (approximately 2.718) must be raised to equal the given input value x.

3. Can I use a calculator to simplify this expression?

Yes, you can use a calculator to simplify this expression. Most scientific calculators have a natural logarithm function button (usually labeled as "ln" or "e^x") that you can use to calculate the value of ln(x+2) and ln(x+3). You can then use the calculator to perform the necessary operations to simplify the expression.

4. What is the purpose of simplifying logarithmic expressions?

Simplifying logarithmic expressions can make them easier to work with and can help in solving equations or finding the value of a logarithmic function. It can also give a better understanding of the underlying mathematical concepts and relationships between different logarithmic expressions.

5. Can I simplify this expression further?

It depends on the specific instructions given for your homework. In most cases, the expression can be simplified to its most basic form, but sometimes the instructions may require you to leave the expression in a certain form. Make sure to carefully read the instructions and ask your teacher if you are unsure about how to simplify the expression.