1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multiplying a 3 by 3 matrix

1. Feb 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In the following problem they are taking the third derivative, then multiplying a 3 by 3 matrix. I don't understand how they progress from the first to the second to the third deriviative in the following two questions.

These are the parts of the solution that I really don't understand

Screenshot2012-02-26at101710PMcopy2.png

What's going on? -3 sin t is not the derivative of -3 sin t

Screenshot2012-02-26at101727PMcopy.png

The derivative of e^t(cos t - sin t) is (e^t)(-sin t - cos t) not 2e^t sin t
    The derivative of e^t(sin t + cos t) is (e^t)(cos t - sin t) not (2e^t)(cos t)

I don't understand.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2012 #2
    Re: torsion

I looked at some more examples and they take the derivative for all the others and I understand them. I don't however understand the derivatives of the two above.

4. Feb 27, 2012 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Looks like a typo to me. The middle row in the 2nd column should be -3cos(t).
    Your work here is incorrect. Both functions are products, so you need to use the product rule when you differentiate.

5. Feb 27, 2012 #4

excellent. i got it now. i really appreciate your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook