Moderator Multiplying Posts by 2: 64 Times!

• Thread starter <<<GUILLE>>>
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a member of a physics forum posing a problem to the moderator, challenging him to multiply his number of posts by two in the number of posts the member has. After three decades, the moderator accepts that it is impossible to achieve. The moderator would have had to do 2^64 posts, which is not even a puzzle. The moderator then clarifies that he was asking for the number 2^64, not just being told it. The conversation then shifts to discussing the difficulty in obtaining and writing out this number, with someone providing a step-by-step guide on how to do it with a calculator. The conversation ends with a member mentioning the standard chessboard formula for this problem, which has about
<<<GUILLE>>>
I guess most of you have come to this problem sometime, but this is my modern adaptation of it:

A member of physics forums bets with a moderator that he (the moderator) won't be able of multiplying his number of posts by two in the number of posts he (the normal member) has.

member's posts: 64

moderator's posts: 1

what moderator has to do: times his posts (1) by 2, 64 times.

After three decades the moderator accepts that it's impossible to achieve.

How many posts did the moderator have to do?

Physics news on Phys.org
2^64, that's not even a puzzle. In the standard chessboard formulation of the problem it would be 2^65 - 1.

BicycleTree said:
2^64, that's not even a puzzle. In the standard chessboard formulation of the problem it would be 2^65 - 1.

ok, its not a puzzle, but its about math:

What I wanted you people to give me is the number 2^64 not tell me 2^64, I already said that!

what so supprising with the 'number' of 2^64

ArielGenesis said:
what so supprising with the 'number' of 2^64

just that it's dificult to get: well, with a calculator it's easy, but you still have to multiply by tewo so many times, the numbr must be enormous. I just want to know it and knwo if there is someone that is so board that he has nothing better to do than this.

Step 1: Open microsoft calculator.
Step 2: Press the key labeled 2.
Step 3: Press the x^y key.
Step 4: Press the key 6
Step 5: Press the key 4.
Step 6: Press the key labeled =.
Step 7: Select "copy" from the Edit menu.
Step 8: Press ctrl-v in the Quick Reply window.

What is the standard chessboard formula?

2^64 has about 20 digits, I doubt I could even name it correctly so I will not bother trying to write it out in its full glory.

Edit: I was correct, it did have 20 digits. Wow, what a useful little calculator!

What is "Moderator Multiplying Posts by 2: 64 Times!"?

"Moderator Multiplying Posts by 2: 64 Times!" is a mathematical concept that involves doubling the number of posts on a forum 64 times. This means that if there are initially 1 post on the forum, after 64 doublings, there will be a total of 2^64 posts on the forum.

Why is "Moderator Multiplying Posts by 2: 64 Times!" important?

This concept is important because it helps us understand exponential growth and the power of doubling. It can also be used to illustrate the potential growth of a population or the impact of compound interest in finance.

How is "Moderator Multiplying Posts by 2: 64 Times!" calculated?

The calculation for "Moderator Multiplying Posts by 2: 64 Times!" is simply 2^64, which is equivalent to 18,446,744,073,709,551,616. This number is often referred to as "2 to the 64th power".

What are the real-life applications of "Moderator Multiplying Posts by 2: 64 Times!"?

As mentioned before, this concept can be applied to population growth and compound interest. It can also be used in computer science to understand the potential growth of data storage or the processing power of computers.

Is "Moderator Multiplying Posts by 2: 64 Times!" a realistic scenario?

No, "Moderator Multiplying Posts by 2: 64 Times!" is not a realistic scenario as it assumes that there are no constraints or limitations on the number of posts that can be made on a forum. In reality, there are always factors such as server capacity, user activity, and moderation that would prevent such exponential growth.