How Can We Improve Multiplication Skills?

• Thread starter wScott
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Numbers
In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a website that teaches mental calculation techniques, particularly for multiplying two digit numbers quickly. The book "Speed Mathematics: Secrets of Lightning Mental Calculation" is recommended and Vedic maths is mentioned as a potential resource. The conversation also touches on the use of visualization and color coding to improve mental calculation abilities.
wScott
I've been looking on this forum but I haven't been able to find it.
There was once a post with a link that brought me to a site where it showed you how to easily multiply two digit numbers together,and as well as things like 123 x 78. Does anybody know of a site that does this?

I think it was something like 'sixteen principles of mathematics' or of such.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Not sure, but i have a good book called Speed Mathematics: Secrets of Lightning Mental Calculation

It has some interesting techniques and some interesting insights into elementary maths calculations, the amazon link has the look inside feature you can maybe get a few pages out of it :)

Thanks for the book,I just requested it from the public library.

It an ok book, but its hard to kick the habbits of a lifetime when it comes to doing this kind of thing i find, wish i had noticed this kind of method 20 years ago :P

Flake, that is EXACTLY the same site I had found before. Thanks a lot.

Wow, Mental Calculation... I absolutely suck at it.. I have to write things down if I want to calculate it...

Yeah i am much less prone to errors when doing it in written form, its very dependant on how many digits you can manipulate at a time in short term memory i understand. It can be trained but is generally much better when done from an early age.

Its actually funny that i can manipulate larger numbers faster if I imagine a white-board marker in my mind and perform the sum visually on the imaginary board.

Other good techniques which I've heard help are imagining unique colours to variables, a lot like C++ Keyword/syntax highlighting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Working_memory
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short-term_memory
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Channel_capacity

What is the process for multiplying two digit numbers?

The process for multiplying two digit numbers is to first line up the numbers vertically, with the larger number on top. Then, starting on the right side, multiply the ones digit of the bottom number by the ones digit of the top number. Write the result below the line. Next, multiply the tens digit of the bottom number by the ones digit of the top number, and write the result on the next line. Add the two results together, and write the final answer below the line.

Why do we need to multiply two digit numbers?

Multiplying two digit numbers is useful in many real-life situations, such as calculating the cost of multiple items or determining the total area of a rectangle with given dimensions. It is also an important skill in higher level math, such as algebra and calculus.

What are some strategies for multiplying two digit numbers mentally?

Some strategies for multiplying two digit numbers mentally include breaking down the numbers into smaller parts, using the distributive property, and using known multiplication facts to simplify the problem. Another strategy is to round one of the numbers to a multiple of 10 and adjust the final answer accordingly.

How can we check our answer when multiplying two digit numbers?

One way to check our answer when multiplying two digit numbers is to use the inverse operation of division. Divide the product by one of the original numbers and if the quotient is equal to the other original number, then the answer is correct. Another way is to use estimation by rounding both numbers to the nearest 10 and multiplying them together, then comparing the estimated product to the actual product.

What are common mistakes when multiplying two digit numbers?

Common mistakes when multiplying two digit numbers include forgetting to carry over when multiplying the tens digit, mixing up the order of the numbers, and making errors in basic multiplication facts. It is also important to make sure the numbers are lined up correctly and to double check the final answer for accuracy.