Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multiplying two digit numbers

1. May 7, 2006 #1
    I've been looking on this forum but I haven't been able to find it.
    There was once a post with a link that brought me to a site where it showed you how to easily multiply two digit numbers together,and as well as things like 123 x 78. Does anybody know of a site that does this?

I think it was something like 'sixteen principles of mathematics' or of such.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2006 #2
  4. May 7, 2006 #3
    Thanks for the book,I just requested it from the public library.
  5. May 7, 2006 #4
    It an ok book, but its hard to kick the habbits of a lifetime when it comes to doing this kind of thing i find, wish i had noticed this kind of method 20 years ago :P
  6. May 8, 2006 #5

Vedic maths was my first thought, and searching this forum for that brought that link from this thread.
    If that's not it and you have a memory of what color background I'll find it.
  7. May 8, 2006 #6
    Flake, that is EXACTLY the same site I had found before. Thanks a lot.
  8. May 8, 2006 #7
    Wow, Mental Calculation... I absolutely suck at it.. I have to write things down if I want to calculate it.....
  9. May 9, 2006 #8
    Yeah i am much less prone to errors when doing it in written form, its very dependant on how many digits you can manipulate at a time in short term memory i understand. It can be trained but is generally much better when done from an early age.

Its actually funny that i can manipulate larger numbers faster if I imagine a white-board marker in my mind and perform the sum visually on the imaginary board.

Other good techniques which ive heard help are imagining unique colours to variables, alot like C++ Keyword/syntax highlighting.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?