1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multiplying vectors

1. Jan 7, 2008 #1
    Three vectors have magnitudes a=3.00m (on the positive x-axis), b=4.00m (makes an angle of 30 degrees with the positive x-axis, counter-clockwise), and c=10.0m (makes an angle of 60 degrees with the negative x-axis, clockwise). If [tex]\overrightarrow{c}=p\overrightarrow{a}+q\overrightarrow{b}[/tex] what are the values of p and q?

I know that the dot product is

[tex]\overrightarrow{c}=\overrightarrow{a} \cdot \overrightarrow{b}[/tex]

So...

[tex]\overrightarrow{a} \cdot \overrightarrow{b}=p\overrightarrow{a}+q\overrightarrow{b}[/tex]

I'm not really sure what my next step should be.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2008 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Hint: Draw the 3 vectors, with the head of a touching the tail of b, and the tail of c touching the tail of a. Do you see that you could ratio the sizes of a and b (remember that p & q can be negative numbers if needed), to make the head of the sum of pa+qb meet the head of c?

4. Jan 8, 2008 #3
    Those are not even mathematically valid equations! In the first one, you have a vector on the left and a scalar on the right. (Remember, the dot product of two vector results in a scalar.) In the second, it's the other way around.

The simplest way, if you ask me, is to equate components and solve the resulting set of linear equations.

5. Jan 8, 2008 #4

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

As neutrino noted, your approach is not valid. You are on the right track, however. Taking the inner product with [itex]\vec a[/itex] and [itex]\vec b[/itex] yields a pair of linear equations in [itex]p[/itex] and [itex]q[/itex]:

[tex]
    \begin{aligned}
    \vec a \cdot \vec c &= \vec a \cdot \vec a \, p + \vec a \cdot \vec b \, q \\
    \vec b \cdot \vec c &= \vec b \cdot \vec a \, p + \vec b \cdot \vec b \, q
    \end{aligned}
    [/tex]

You have the requisite information needed to determine all of the inner products in the above equations. Solve the system of equations for [itex]p[/itex] and [itex]q[/itex], and voila, you have the answer.

6. Jan 8, 2008 #5
    Can't believe I made such a dumb mistake. Alright, I will attempt this problem again with your suggestions, thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?