Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multiplying voltage

1. Feb 8, 2012 #1
    I'm just starting a project that I've been thinking about for quite some time. i would like to make a coil gun. my question is this: what would be the best method of multiplying the voltage from, say, two 9V batteries up to an amount fit for charging four 400V 6300uf capacitors. i don't want anything too big like a dc/dc converter but something that i can assimilate into the coil gun design. And considering my laughable experience with circuits (about two courses of electrical classes) do any of you have resources for me to learn how to design and make the multiplier that i need?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2012 #2
    so ive talked to a few professors at my college and several suggested that instead of trying to step up the voltage from a battery pack that i might consider using a 120v wall adapter as my source voltage.it would limit its mobility but if it makes the circuitry significantly easier and decreases the charging time on the capacitor banks then im willing to trade for it. any suggestions for me from any one?

4. Feb 11, 2012 #3

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Perhaps they have in mind the Cockcroft-Walton multiplier rectifier? http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_3/chpt_3/8.html

It would be highly advisable to use a transformer, in any case, to provide a measure of safety while you construct and test it, as well as for the operator.

5. Feb 15, 2012 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Sorry, we won't help you build a coil gun here. Thread closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook