1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multipole Expansion

1. Mar 11, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have to calculate the approximate electrostatic potential far from the origin for the following arrangement of three charges: +q at (0,0,a), -q at (0,a,0) and (0,-a,0). I have to give the final answer in spherical coordinates and keep the first two non-zero terms in the multipole expansion.

2. Relevant equations

So the equation for the multipole expansion is:

V(r) = (1/4piEo)SUM(1/(r^(n+1)))*int(r')^n*Pn*cos(theta)*pho(r')dr'

3. The attempt at a solution

My main problem here is that I don't see the need for a multipole expansion, since we're taking the measurement far from the origin the charges will appear as a point charge. Also I'm pretty sure the total charge has to be zero to use the multipole expansion, but the total charge isn't zero here.
    What I've got is a triangle on the z-y axes, with a point on the x-axis where I'm measuring the potential. I've got

V(x,y,z)= (1/4*piEo)(q/L - q/D - q/S), where L, D and S are the distances from the charges to the point of observation, and I've drawn them such that L=D=S= sqrt(a^2 + x^2)

This doesn't really work, since two of the charges cancel out and leave one of the negative charges as the sole contributor to the potential. Also I think I've missed the point of the question by placing the point of observation on the x-axis.
    I think I should rewrite the integral for the potential for the multipole expansion as a point charge distribution, but I'm not sure how to go about that.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2007 #2

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

First of all, write the poential as a sum of potentials due to the individual charges for a general point in space, then write the resulting potential terms in an expansion like you alluded to.
  4. Mar 13, 2007 #3
    Thanks for that.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?